cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

You view box not working

Go to solution

You view box not recording? Do i need a new Youview box? I have tried turning off tv for 5 minutes still no luck x the recordings I have I can still watch them x all advice/suggestions welcome! Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: YouView box not working

Go to solution

@Foxy31 

Which model of YouView box is it?

First, check that you haven’t simply filled up the hard disc; select My TV, and look at the % FREE in the bottom righthand corner. If this is down to 20% or less, and you don’t have auto delete on, or everything is protected, you may need to delete some old recordings to make way for new ones.

If it’s not this, though, then in general when a YouView box stops recording, it means that the file structure is corrupted, and often only a factory reset, which will deletes all your existing recordings, can cure this.

Often, with such corruption, you can’t watch your existing recordings either, though I see that you still can.

But it’s still worth trying a Maintenance Mode reset Option 2 first, which will give the box a shake-up, but still keeps your recordings:-

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/tv-boxes/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-tv-box-

If an Option 2 doesn’t bring back the recording capability though, then best watch whatever recordings you want to get watched before a reset, and then Factory Reset it, either as Maintenance Mode Option 5, or in Settings on the box; they are the same thing.

Pro boxes, when you use Maintenance Mode, decide for themselves how drastic a reset is needed, which sounds good but is actually quite a backwards step, because it means you have to be sure to watch any recordings you have before attempting the reset; and if it works, and you didn’t need a Factory Reset, you have done all that watching in a hurry, for nothing.

After a Factory Reset, the box may still be faulty, or it may be OK again. This is impossible to predict; but basically if it’s still faulty, or goes faulty again very shortly, then the corruption was a hardware issue, and you do need a replacement.

But if it was just a software glitch, the box should be (nearly) as good as new again, and you can carry on with it once more.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: YouView box not working

Go to solution

Thank you for your help x strange to say that after  turning off the tv etc last night x this morning it works fine x probably I done something odd 🙄having a OAP moment 😂 x again thank you for your time!