cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

YouYiew+ box won’t switch on.

My YouView+ box won’t switch back on after being switched off at the rear switch for a few days whilst I was away.  I have repeatedly switched on and off both at the rear switch and the wall socket but it remains inoperative. I have pressed and held the top on/off switch as per the manual but nothing happens.   Is this c. 2014 box now dead? 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: YouYiew+ box won’t switch on.

Hi @Ian56,

Thank you for posting. With what you have said it does sound like the box has died.

It could be worthwhile checking the fuse on the power cable if you have the H3 box.

Do you have an active BT TV subscription? 

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I don’t subscribe to BT TV but it’s linked to my BT broadband via a Wi-Fi extender. I’ll check the fuse, thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

thanks for the tip, but it’s powered by a 12V transformer without a fuse. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Listen very carefully, (i.e. with your ear to the box in a quiet room) as it tries to boot up, if you hearing a constant clicking noise or the noises of a small electric motor starting up, whirring and shutting down then the hard drive is faulty 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I just checked the power supply. It’s giving consistent 12V DC.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Thanks. It’s completely silent.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

It shouldn't be completely silent.

It has a mechanical hard disk drive in it (as opposed to an SSD) just as some computers or laptops still do and if you listen close enough then you should be able to hear it (however faintly) if it's functioning correctly

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Ian56 

I guess it's the original T1000 unit which to have survived this long is doing well.

These are known for capacitor failure which I guess might well stop it powering on. The capacitors are replaceable if you're handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is. Possibly worth a try as I doubt replacement capacitors are very expensive.

And @Les-Gibson it will be completely silent if it doesn't power on which is what I think can be assumed.

I seem to have used a lot of guesses/assumptions here btw.😊

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

If it has buttons on the top it is likely to be one of the T2100 or similar range of boxes - as the older T1000 series had buttons on the front. No power could  be the unit itself or the power adapter. Suggest unplugging cables and the plugging back in , in case of a poor connection.

0 Ratings