cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: changing source from hdmi to tv.

Go to solution

@gomezz 

As long as you have signal strength enough to allow for it slightly more than halving to each device.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
You can used a powered booster/splitter which basically does the same as what happens inside the Youview box.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

@gomezz 

And there I rest my case 😛

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks guys. Now that I'm getting more confused I'm wondering even if I succeeded,  would my 2 problems be solved. 

1.) When watching Talking Pictures TV the red button does not bring up any extra functionality. 

2.) When I watch or record very old programmes the picture is very squashed, more than just the wrong aspect ratio. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

@Lizzie 

1.) What is the red button supposed to do, and does it do it on other channels? I can’t get any of the coloured buttons to do anything on any channel on my YouView box. But I don’t have EE TV, so maybe this is an EE TV thing?

2.) Squashed horizontally you mean? Are you watching on an old 4:3 TV with no 16:9 option?

If old 4:3 programmes are shown on BBC4, then the BBC will transmit them in 16:9, as a 12:9 (=4:3) picture with a 2:9 black bar either side. Other channels may do the same.

A 4:3 (=12:9) TV has to render that across 12:9, so you get a 1.5:9 black bar, a 9:9 picture, and another 1.5:9 black bar.

YouView boxes will do the same with 4:3 pictures, rendering them into 16:9 with black bars either side. And, contrary to DTG recommendations, throw away the information that the picture was ever 4:3 (although the then CEO of YouView sat on the board of the DTG!) so that no TV could rescue it.

Some TVs let you render the 12:9 part across 16:9 though, chopping off the black bars; this was rather derisorily called Stretchyvision, and made people look like the man on the back of the Megabus, and wheels look like ovals.

What fun we had explaining all this in the early days, to YouView users who were holdouts with 4:3 TVs!

Can’t be the case here, though surely? What TV have you got, and what aspect ratio setting are you using?

Can you post a screenshot of an example? (Camera icon above will let you do that, with a digital snapshot you have taken).

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Hello again, 

1.)  The TV is a Techwood, I think they were made for supermarkets, so not posh. I bought it off the next door neighbour. I think that's why I can't get the red button extra content on tptv. The BBC red button works fine.

2.)  I have just discovered that the Screen button on the TV remote still works even though the channel numbers don't when watching through the Youview box. As all the words had rubbed off the buttons with age I didn't like to press willy-nilly,  but I found the booklet and identified it. I'm going to record an ancient programme and see if it works on a recording. 

Thanks!!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

@Lizzie 

I’ve never heard of Techwood, but AO sell them. You certainly get a lot of bang for your buck with them.

What’s the picture quality like?😛

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Hi, 

the picture quality is great.  

I have just changed to the TV box Pro, and still have the same source problem. 

I didn't pursue the new aerial, knowing that my contract had ended and I needed a new Hub, which I now have.

I have been promised a visit on Sunday from some sort of Home Helper, as the phone that they sent for the digital voice changeover stopped working after one day, so maybe he or she can help.

I downgraded my tv package, losing the Sky channels, but I have lost a lot of Freeview ones as well, so I could really do with being able to get back in to the tv.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Update:

The new TV box Pro has now enabled me to get in to the tv channels via TV on the Source button.  

After the digital voice phone stopped working one day after installation, the Home Help tech visit set up the TV again.

Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Lizzie ,

Thanks for letting us know you've got everything sorted. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings