cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: issue controlling BTTV STB over hdmi

let me pause there, i think i have a floor in my testing 😱

so i thought let me try a few towels over the stb & damn, **bleep**, **** the LG does not work anymore, so even though i put something between the remote & the stb it wasn’t enough to block the IR getting out, when i really wrapped something round the remote it did get the same results as your towel test….so apologies there for confusion, i need to re-think this 🤔

now im not sure when hdmi/cec is employed over IR 🤷‍♂️

Mark.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

@markthom 

Thanks.

I’ll give not selecting BT South a go tomorrow.

There’s something slightly strange going on there, as you are specifically enjoined not to use the PR 🔺Up key on the remote, but to press Enter on it instead.

At which point I can see that the corresponding command from the set chosen will be executed, correctly if the correct command set has been chosen; but by what mechanism? You would say CEC of course. We shall see….

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

@markthom 

So your magic remote is Bluetooth as well as IR? I don’t think the remote for my GX is, though I could be wrong, but it’s quite possible this changed, and the (different) magic remote for the C2 is.

But YouView boxes preceding the Pro box definitely are IR-only, so Bluetooth would only come into it for the C2 itself. I’ll experiment tomorrow, see if I can work the C2 from out of line of sight.

I feel your Emmerdale pain. As I complained to my wife, “Every time I put this bloody TV on, you get interested, and want to start watching it”. Almost like they don’t know what it’s for 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

The G3 is definitely bluetooth/RF, i can control my TV from a different room. There is lots of evidence on Google that it is such but this LG article is a good reference.

you can also see the TV bluetooth in your smart phone bluetooth menu.

i am happy that the STB is fully IR controlled from the LG remote, in fact in this instance I don’t think any of the STB functions are controlled over the LG hdmi/simplink - so suspect it’s only of use between computable LG devices.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tvs-how-to-troubleshoot-your-lg-magic-remote-CT1000001...

i still have my original problem where i cannot control STB recording from the LG remote but i can finally ditch the BTTV remote, i.e. just have the one LG remote - a good tip i had was to use the BT/EE phone app to control the STB recording on the rare occasions i need to 👏🏻👏🏻

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

I concur @markthom.  It’s the first LG TV I’ve owned but the magic remote is a real nifty feature. I can also control the volume of my amplifier (which is connected via optical) so that’s a really useful feature too.

As you say the BT/EE app is also a useful feature for setting up recording that gets round not having a record button on the Magic remote. I have noticed a delay between submitting the record instruction in the app and it being received by the bt box but can live with that. 

thanks for flagging this and your investigative work. 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Reading about all this faff I am glad I use a Harmony universal remote to control all my AV equipment.  The only time I use HDMI/CEC is for controlling my Chromecast dongle.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

@markthom 

Thanks for the LG links. These tell me that Record on the LG TV, to a USB device, is long press on the red colour button on the remote. (Quite a few of the buttons on the remote have a secondary feature when you press and hold).

But I tried this on the YouView box connected to the C2, and got the message ‘Recording is not supported in this input’. Same on the GX.

Perhaps we need to badger LG to make this supported 😢

NB: The LG links also inform me that my GX Magic Remote does have Bluetooth.

0 Ratings