cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: issue controlling BTTV STB over hdmi

what I ideally need is someone with a different STB to the one provided by BT, possibly freeview etc. that is connected to an LG tv and can verify that they “can” record on that STB using the LG remote, i.e. there is an extra option available in the menu or the red button works.

Mark.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

@markthom wrote:

@Midnight_Voice 

I am not sure that understanding is 100% correct, here's why.

when I setup my HDMI connected STB on the LG UI it prompts me to select the service provider/device type etc & then runs thru some connectivity tests, i.e. it presents a button on screen called PR & you click on it to see if the STB channel changes, you can cover the LG remote with your hand & it still works, you can run the same test when it is all setup, as you describe bring up the LG menu for controlling the STB, obscure the line of sight between LG remote & TV/STB and select the menu pause or guide button, the STB will still respond, so it cannot be IR as the primary method.

> If you cover the end of the remote comprehensively enough, nothing gets through, for either controlling the TV or the STB. Which is a DTR-T4000 in my downstairs setup.

> The same hand-covering on the remote for my Roku Streaming Stick+ has no effect whatever, on most commands, as this is an RF device. Though it does stop On/Off and Volume +/-, which are IR commands.

I tried what you suggested & turned off CEC on the LG TV but still the STB controls (not record) worked from the LG remote/menu, that was confusing,

> It’s only confusing if you think CEC is involved.

but then I read this article below, basically I read that CEC is an optional standard that can be implemented and exactly what features each vendor implements is again different (hence me thinking BT have not chosen "record") but more importantly HDMI does not Defacto need CEC to manage devices, its just not quite as level a playing field if it is not.

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/tv/hdmi-cec

> Yes, but there are no Android devices involved here.

also, I believe the LG remote uses HDMI/CEC & also IR, in the case above it is HDMI but if you place your phone camera in front of the remote, spin the camera to front facing & press one of the LG remote buttons you will see the IR being transmitted.

> Yes, always, as the magic remote has no wireless capability. I did wonder, though, if  maybe the items you could only work via the … button were coming over HDMI-CEC. But even these still work if CEC is off. 

(Newly added)

I'm aware you have a G3, with a newer remote than my GX, so I wondered if this explained anything. So I looked at our bedroom C2, which has the new remote, and the Universal Control a little more automated than the GX. But you can insist on setting up Universal Control manually, so I tried this on the C2 with our upstairs YouView box, a DTR-T2110, and during the setup I got this screen (which I can also get on the GX, but I think it’s more indicative on this later TV):-

IMG_1268.jpeg

You will notice that it says to point the remote at the device. Significantly, not at the TV.

Which I can bear out for my BluRay player, some way below the TV and in a glass-fronted cabinet, set back so so popping the tray out doesn’t hit the glass, which require pretty precise aiming of its own remote, let alone the LG one.

(Sorry the formatting here is a bit messy, it’s defying all my attempts to fix it. How do I get at the raw HTML, or can’t I? 😢)

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

 i have been thru that screen trying different device types, i think it’s probably the wording when it states “point at the device” & most likely means the TV, i’ll show you why.

when you click on the “next” button you will end up on the screen i have attached, it requires you to point the magic remote at the TV & specifically point the cursor over the PR button to check the STB channel changes when you push the LG OK wheel, so basically it’s impossible to point the remote at a different device to the TV.

0b176e51-9e3a-4a25-ba96-2bca3b02232d.jpeg

hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

For what it’s worth i use the BT TV Box Pro with the Lg G3 Oled and I also have been unable to find a way of recording on the BT box using the LG magic remote. 

it’s been only a minor niggle for me as I don’t tend to record that much but it does seem strange that the functionality isn’t there. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

same here, it’s not a biggie but it’s got me investigative juices flowing 😰

i’ll make sure i post back anything i find as i also have a thread running on an LG AV forum 👍🏻

Mark.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

@markthom 

Mine jumps through that screen without stopping - I had to take a video and look at the exact frame to see it, I expect that’s why they talk about 1 metre and facing the same way.

My puzzle at the moment then, is what PR 🔺means, and what proper operation of it might show? Programme Up 1? So BBC1 becomes BBC2, and so on?

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

PR is programme button, you click that and the channel changes.

thats my understanding.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

& yours will be skipping thru because you are selecting the default setup it provides you which i can see is BT TV (South) - under manage settings delete that & select view all, you can select what you want there event down to choosing “Humax” etc. & then you will have loads of tests/profile to go thru.

mark.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

@markthom 

OK, next test. Cover the YouView box so its remote can no longer operate it. (Quite tricky, took me two bath towels).

Now try to operate it from the LG remote, which you think will receive the commands on the TV, and then pass them via HDMI/CEC to the YouView box, and so should still work it. But nothing happens. Why do you think that is?

On my theory, it’s simple; the covered YouView box can’t see the LG remote either. But what’s your explanation?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

we must have very different environments, i get the same results i posted a little earlier in this thread, nothing as exotic as towels over the STB but simply place my hand (or an object) in front of the LG remote, the magic pointer still moves (as you would expect as this is bluetooth) & when i select inputs / hdmi & the “…” button i can still control the STB & i still have the remote IR sensor covered.

i then took a step backward & deleted my LG hdmi profile & started again, i.e choosing BTTV etc. & when running the “test” with on the onscreen PR the STB still changes channel & all the time i still have the LG remote sensor obscured.

so it’s impossible that IR is involved, here anyway.

one thing that it has affected is my TV sound, each time i do some more testing i hear a loud “ i was watching emmerdale…” 😂😂

0 Ratings