cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Account password not correct message and change issues

So last night I couldn't get into my BT account as it said my password wasn't recognised.

I knew it was correct as I had used it less than an hour before hand.

So I changed it via the BT website, by following the account login in link, and it successfully updated but at the same time the BT email address that I use for the account id also changed it's password to the new one.

I have also checked my security /information on both my BT account and email and also checked there is no forwarding /rules etc on the email account.

Now I have had separate passwords for the BT account ID and it's associated BT email for the last couple of years as this is supposed to be good practice and something that BT encourages you to do.

So this morning I thought I would change the email address password so both are different again.

I have now tried via login to my BT account , Manage Email and selecting the email address and changing the password and also via the BT website Email link on the main page  and following the steps there and each time it also changes the BT Account Password to the same one.

I have cleared the web browser cache /history etc as I always do on exit.

So why has the behaviour reverted back to the old one where the BT account password and it's associated email password are again linked?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Account password not correct message and change issues

Try logging onto your email account using a web browser the go to the settings found by clicking on your user name at the right hand side.

Then go to Account Info and then change password and follow the prompts.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Sorry about the delay in getting back on this.

So tried your suggestion and still the same.

So for me my BT ID and associated email accounts still have linked password changes.

Not good from BT when they rightly encourage you to unlink them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

When BT changed it that your BT email and your MyBT/BTID had to be the same it was pointed out repeatedly on this forum the folly of doing this.

Now BT recently encourage using a different password for BTMail and your MyBT and now who knows what they want so I gave up trying to work out what BT wanted and what their password protocols are.

Sorry I can not help you further because I no longer know what changing your password will do or what BT expect it to do.

Message 5 of 5

Well who knows what they want?
All I can say as a user is that this constant mess that seems to effect their email product, that is now closed to only existing customers, feels to me as a way of getting those left to vote with their feet so they can close it completely.
Anyway like you I'm not going to lose sleep about it as clearly BT can't be that bothered about one of their products in my view.
0 Ratings