cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Adding email to iPhone

Go to solution

How can I add my bt email to my iPhone? It was attached, I removed it because it said there was an error and now I cannot add it again. I get the message mail.btinternet.com is not responding. I have been on chats twice all they do is point out the obvious -change your password, turn off your phone and then try again. I have done this several times (before contacting chat) and it doesn't work, I have checked it is IMAP and no POP and it still wont work. Can anyone help.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Adding email to iPhone

Go to solution

Have you tried adding it manually rather than letting the automatic set up do it.

To do that select the option "Other. See link

Add an email account – Apple Support (UK)

The settings you will need are in this link

BT Email server settings | BT Help

If you are not at first offered the option to set up IMAP, enter an incorrect password and the iPhone will try to connect and fail and you will then be offered the IMAP option.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

I just get a message saying "The IMAP server mail.btinternet.com doesn't support Password authentication.  Please check your account settings and try again.

As far as I am aware my account settings are okay.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

We went over this some months ago, with lots of people (including me) having teh problem.  The non-intuitive fix recommended by @gg30340 worked and works a treat - put in any wrong password and you get a fresh start.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

@BonniesMum wrote:

Hi

I just get a message saying "The IMAP server mail.btinternet.com doesn't support Password authentication.  Please check your account settings and try again.

As far as I am aware my account settings are okay.

Did you check them in the link I posted. Even if they are correct I would suggest that you delete the account from your mail app, restart your phone then carry out the method I have suggested. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

If my previous post about setting it up manually has not worked I would suggest the following:

For future information, if your email app stops working the first thing to do is to see if you can still use your email account when using a web browser.

If you can then the best advice is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, as you have now found out.

If you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices that you use to access your email or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Even if you changed your email password, change your webmail email password again.

Wait at least 30 minutes before starting your iPhone to set up the email account in the manner I have previously posted, with the new password.

Check that this phone is working before moving onto the next device if you have more than one.

When you change your BT email password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Now get "username or password for mail.internet.com is incorrect".  I cannot see the password for incoming and outgoing mail servers just dots and I am not sure how to find out what they are/should be.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@BonniesMum wrote:

Now get "username or password for mail.internet.com is incorrect".  I cannot see the password for incoming and outgoing mail servers just dots and I am not sure how to find out what they are/should be.

Have a read of my last message.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

To set up the email account on your iPhone:-

When you delete the account you must switch off and restart your phone.

Go to your iPhone home screen and tap Settings.

Scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap Add Account.

Scroll down and tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

Put the name you want people to see when they get mail from you in the Name field.

Enter your username in the Address field. For example, firstname.lastname@btinternet.com

Enter your password in the Password field.

In the Description field enter the name you want to use to identify the account.

Tap Next. If you get an error message at this point, tap OK.

Make sure that IMAP is selected at the top of the screen.

In the Incoming Mail Server section, change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 993 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Then scroll down to the Outgoing Mail Server section and change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 465 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Make sure the correct username and password are entered.

Tap Save.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

It is obviously me, I scrolled down settings and there is no Accounts & Passwords just Passwords which is just literally a list of sites and the passwords.  It is an iPhone 15.

Thank you for trying.

0 Ratings