cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Am I being hacked

I keep getting BT authentification pass codes. I had loads last night and they have started again just. I'm not requesting them, and I changed my password last night. Any idea why this would be happening?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Am I being hacked

I have assumed that this is in relation to your email account.

It is possible that somebody is trying to get into your email account. This could be a scam where they are using the "forgotten password" route and they get a PIN code sent. If it is a hack attempt they then follow it up with a telephone call purporting to be from BT and inform you that they have sent a PIN to confirm they are from BT and to confirm you are the account holder they ask you to repeat the code back to them. 

This then allows them to use it to access the email account and change the password and lock you out.

If however you have not received a phone call just prior to the PIN or shortly after it was received it could just be that somebody with a similar email address to yours with perhaps one digit difference and they are mistakenly using your email address and when they can not get entry they are using the "forgotten password" route and because the PIN is obviously not getting sent to them they are repeatedly trying and getting repeated PINs sent.

If you have not had a phone call and you are happy that your password is secure I would suspect the latter reason is what is happening. 

Message 3 of 14

Email hacked

I posted earlier about the passcode authentication texts I kept recieving which I hadn't requested. The reply I received seemed realistic so I marked it as solved. It now seems as I have been hacked because my password is no longer being recognised. Where do I go from here? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Re: Email hacked

I have moved your message onto your original thread so that it is all kept together.

Have you tried your "old" password?

Are you using a web browser or an email client/app to access your email account. If it is an email client/app try using webmail and if you still can not give you access does it give any message?

Try using the "forgotten password" on the logon page and see if that works.

If it does work when you get into your email account go to the settings and check that there are no forwarding rules set up and if there are take a note of the email address that it is being forwarded to.

You should also notify your bank and other places that you use.

See this link for other things to check

How can I tell if my email account is no longer secure? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

No forwarding rules, and I am using a browser. I've managed to change the password, but I did that last night and I had the same problem again tonight. Its as though someone is changing my password.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Follow all the other checks and also check your computer for malware. The free ADWcleaner is a good program to run. It does not require to be installed on your computer and will find anything that should not be there.

When you used the log on page did you get a pop up type of message that BT had secured your account?

Do you use your email account on more than one device?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I didn't receive a pop up message about securing my account, just password not recognised. I access my email in my phone and laptop. I've ran a virus scan on my phone and nothing was found.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

When you changed your password using a browser did you remember to change it on your email app on your phone?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

I don't use an app on my phone, I use chrome to access my email.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

What about on your laptop, do you use an email client?

0 Ratings