cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Email - does it have a long term future?

I recently switched from BT to EE when renewing my contract.

I wasn't given any notication or warning that all of my additional (secondary) BT email addresses would evaporate!! 😮

I've been using my primary BT address for over 25 years. Like most people I use it as my login ID on countless online accounts and mailing list subscriptions.

Ive only recently learnt that BT no longer issue BT addresses.

I'm concerned about its long term future and wondering if I should begin the painfull process of migrating away.

I have gazziliions of emails in hundreds of folders built up over many years.

Does anyone have any info about the long terms plans for our BT addresses?

Does anyone know if its a third party that provides the email services for BT?

Thanks

B R
PS also found out this morning by complete chance that BT cloud is ending too. Thanks for the advance notification BT.  😡 😠

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Email - does it have a long term future?

Your secondary addresses should not have been deleted, are you absolutely sure they have been?

Email addresses as site logins are just a text string, the email address itself doesn't have to exist in order to simply log in.

This is just a customer to customer forum, no-one here will have any insight into the long term future of BT email.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

When I log in to My BT and go to email and click Manage I get this...

BT manage email 3.08.24.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I have no idea if the service has a future, but your fear of what may be inevitable is reason enough to start the torturous journey now IMHO.  Better to start now and have enough time to plan it out, than rushed into something and put your archive at risk. 

The shifting of your email archive is simple enough if you have a laptop with Microsoft Office installed (or a suitable Outlook alternative) and can dedicate enough time to setting up both your BT and “new” chosen email service, and then studiously Copying the folders between the accounts.  I’ve done this many times for people over the years.  TIP: check the size of your folders and run some tests before you do it for real.  Depending on the strength of your connection these copy tasks can take a while and/or time-out if you try to do too much at once. 

As far as Online Accounts are concerned, remember just because your login ID is an email address, it doesn’t mean the actual email address registered to that account has to be the same.  You should be able to retain the login IDs as they are now.  Just go in and change the actual registered email.  A lot of accounts won’t even let you change the login.  

ISP email services have long been on the slide.  Unfortunately many people have learned the hard way when switching suppliers, suddenly realising they will lose a service which these days is pretty critical to everyday life. 

Hope that helps and is food for thought. 

0 Ratings