cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BTMAIL sign-in conundrums.

What new hell is this? Not satisfied with making me sign-in using secure authentication every time I open BT Mail, now it opens onto the special offers page, and I have to click "email" to actually visit my email page. This happens with both Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers which I use. If I click on "show me the special offers" it appears there are none for me, and suggests that I 'phone BT instead. Can any BT techs who might be reading this, explain  why, whenever it is upgraded, there are more convoluted actions to perform. I understand that there are other email programs to use, but I want  BT Email to work, not have to migrate to Thunderbird etc.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BTMAIL sign-in conundrums.

Hear hear!  I am absolutely fed up with having to reenter my email address every time I do anything on BT. The upgrade commercials are also a pain in the butt and now where have my folders all disappeared to from my email account?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

@wifiwill wrote:

I understand that there are other email programs to use, but I want  BT Email to work, not have to migrate to Thunderbird etc.

You do not have to "migrate" to use Thunderbird or any other email client. You still use your BTMail account, all you are doing is using a different method of accessing your email account instead of using a web page on a web browser.

It will take you about five minutes to download and install Thunderbird and start using it on your computer. You follow the prompts and it is as easy as entering your email address and password.

It is not a choice of one or the other. You can have and use both on your computer if you want.

You can set up Thunderbird as an IMAP account and it will synchronise fully with all your emails and folders in your BTMail account. After installing Thunderbird and setting it up with your email address and password you do not need to be entered again. There after ever time you check your email or send an email you are automatically logged on and off by Thunderbird.

If you use Thunderbird and you later find that you do not like it or by some miracle BT manage to sort out their BTMail webmail you decide that you want to use it as your means of accessing your email you can just uninstall Thunderbird.

An added big plus to using an email client such as Thunderbird is that you do not need to use the BTMail use interface and as such you will have none of the problems that you and others are experiencing or be faced with any future problems that may occur when BT next "update" it. There are also no adverts!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Thank you. I have now started using Thunderbird, and as you say, it is better. I wonder if you would be kind enough to offer a step-by-step guide to setting up Thunderbird so that it looks and feels like BTMail. This would be very helpful to myself and maybe others, who  are trying the program.It is rather confusing to begin with, and a familiar (BTMail) look would aid the transition.

Once again, thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I don't wish to hi-jack this post but i  also have a question regarding Thunderbird.

If i were to set it up & i do not know how it works ,but if i were to start reading emails from my BT em page in Thunderbird would that actually remove  them  from my bt page .If i then decided to uninstall Thunderbird would i then lose completely the message i had been reading in Thunderbird.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I think you  would only lose emails if you actually delete them, merely reading them in one email client will not delete them in either. There is a portable version of Thunderbird you could try, if you are worried about actually installing it, At the moment, I am only using BTMail as my email client in one of the four browsers that I use. When I am more confident I will abandon the BTMail app completely, and only use Thunderbird. When I installed Thunderbird, I frequently consulted Google for many "how-do-I-do-whatever" and found many links that referred to older versions of the program, and weren't applicable to the newest version. This is why I have asked if there is a simple guide for setting Thunderbird to emulate the BTMail interface, as this would aid the transition.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@Cliff wrote:

I don't wish to hi-jack this post but i  also have a question regarding Thunderbird.

If i were to set it up & i do not know how it works ,but if i were to start reading emails from my BT em page in Thunderbird would that actually remove  them  from my bt page .If i then decided to uninstall Thunderbird would i then lose completely the message i had been reading in Thunderbird.

Hope that makes sense.

Setting up Thunderbird as an IMAP account will fully synchronise and replicate your BT webmail account. It will show all your folders and emails and what you do on one will be done on the other so that regardless of which one you are using the other will be exactly the same. 

If you read a message on T'bird it will show as read in your BTMail account when you check it using a browser (webmail). It will not have been deleted unless YOU deleted it. 

If you delete the email in T'bird, it will be deleted on webmail and visa versa.

If you compose and send an email from T'bird it will show in your sent folder in both T'bird and BT webmail.

Setting up Thunderbird as an IMAP account will fully synchronise and replicate your BT webmail account. It will show all your folders and emails and what you do on one will be done on the other so that regardless of which one you are using the other will be exactly the same. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@wifiwill wrote:

Thank you. I have now started using Thunderbird, and as you say, it is better. I wonder if you would be kind enough to offer a step-by-step guide to setting up Thunderbird so that it looks and feels like BTMail. This would be very helpful to myself and maybe others, who  are trying the program.It is rather confusing to begin with, and a familiar (BTMail) look would aid the transition.

Once again, thanks.

There are various different "Views" to BTMail, such as having a "Preview Pane" or not and where it is positioned along with a few other "user" changeable settings in BTMail so it would be not practicable to try and tell you how to replicate what you have on BTMail as the permutations would be to involved for me to put here.

What I would say is that if you have Thunderbird installed and you go to the menu bar at the top. (If it is not fully showing right click on the menu bar and it will open a drop down box. Tick "Menu Bar" . This will give you the full menu bar. You may need to close and open T'bird to get it to show).

Once you have the full menu bar click on "View". This will give you a drop down box with various settings that you can change. 

If you click on "Layout" there a few options to choose. Try them until you find one that suits you.

If you want a "Preview Pane"  you can toggle it on/off by pressing Fn F8. 

Just keep a note of what you have changed and how you did it so that if you don't like it you can always cahnge it back.

For further information about Thunderbird the Mozilla Thunderbird official help pages are a good place to start.

Thunderbird Help (mozilla.org)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the information.

Re.paragraph below.

"Setting up Thunderbird as an IMAP account will fully synchronise and replicate your BT webmail account. It will show all your folders and emails and what you do on one will be done on the other so that regardless of which one you are using the other will be exactly the same."

When you say what is done on one will be done on the other.Does that mean that if i for some reason didn't get along with Thunderbird & uninstalled it ,would that actually have an effect on
the messages & folders in my bt mail account.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@Cliff wrote:

When you say what is done on one will be done on the other.Does that mean that if i for some reason didn't get along with Thunderbird & uninstalled it ,would that actually have an effect on
the messages & folders in my bt mail account.

No it does not mean that.

If you uninstall it will have ne effect on your BTMail account. It will leave everything on BTMail as it was when you uninstall Thunderbird.

0 Ratings