cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BTinternet emails missing after recent upgrade

After the recent upgrade to Btinternet I seem to have lost the majority of my emails.  Has anyone else had this problem recently and does anyone know a fix to get emails back?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BTinternet emails missing after recent upgrade

Hi @WJ1, welcome to the forum, and sorry you have lost most of your emails. 

Try logging into webmail at www.bt.com/email and check if the emails are there in any of your folders.
If not then check all devices that you access your email account with. It could be that one of the devices was set to POP3 and has downloaded the emails from the server and they will be held on that device.

If your emails are still going missing it would be best to log in and change your password.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks, they are not there in webmail or in either of my devices.  All of them have the same emails with the oldest being 31 Oct 2021.

I will reset my password, but pretty sure this is linked to the recent upgrade

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@WJ1 wrote:

I will reset my password, but pretty sure this is linked to the recent upgrade

What recent upgrade?

If you are referring to the migration from BTYahoo to BTMail it was completed months ago which was well before 31 October 2021.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

When I logged in yesterday I had a message telling me about new features added.  Assumed this was as a result of an upgrade?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

How are you accessing your email account. Is it with a web browser or are you using an email client/app?

Which method were you using when you received the notification about an upgrade?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I normally access via mail app on iPhone/pad.  I got the notification when I logged on via web browser.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I have had the same happen to me, ALL my inbox history over years has been lost following the BT Email System  Upgrade and they have said it is my fault because my iPhone Is set to use POP3 and the upgrade process only supported IMAP.

I have been informed that there is no way to get the emails recovered, even though in my view this is not an error on the customers side.

Where was the customer email/notice prior to the migration informing of the risk and impact of using POP3 ? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

The upgrade was over 2 years sgo, not recently.

You were told total nonsense that POP3 isn't supported, it is I still use it. However, as is the case with all POP3 clients, mail is downloaded to the client and removed from the server. Some clients have a tick box to retain a copy of the mail on the server though.

If your iPhone is set to POP3, the mail's will have been downloaded to it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

It wasn’t till after the support call that I thought through the issue.

I have used my IPhone, IPad and my Mac to access my email for years daily and on occasion via a browser, in all cases my email has stayed synchronised and present on ALL Apple devices and in-line with the webmail view, which suggests I’m already using IMAP.

I have also checked my IPhone and it looks to be using IMAP, I see no reference to POP3 servers in the account settings.

I feel I have been sold a pup by the BT support team and I feel they were not really listening and didn’t seem to realise the impact of loosing years of personal data due to the BT Mail system upgrade programme!

0 Ratings