cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Creating new BT email address

Go to solution

Apologises, I know this has been asked before, but I can't find a solution. I have had a BT email address for many years. I did leave a number of years ago , kept using the address , and then returned to BT, In My Products it doesn't show any email at all. I need to create an additional email to give me more security with various retail accounts. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Creating new BT email address

Go to solution

BT no longer offer email addresses to new BT Broadband customer. This option was withdrawn on 26th October 2022.

If you already have a BT email address you will be able to keep it but you will not be able to set up any more.

You could of course set up a gmail email address or any of the other free ones that are available.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks very much for the update.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

In a similar situation.

I live in a rural location (apparently). So, in order to get ultra fast broadband I'm having (forced?) to go with Gigaclear.

Having spoken to BT about the change over they informed me that I will have to let go my BTinternet.com email address.

I'm not sure what is a good alternative for setting up a new email address that ha s a good track record for security and user options.

I'd be grateful for any suggestion?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You DO NOT have to give up your email address if you leave BT. You can either just have Basic Mail which is free but is only accessible via webmail or pay £7.50/m for Premium Mail which can also be accessed by clients and apps.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

If you don't wish to keep your BT email, simply create a Gmail address.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You do not lose your BT email address if you moce away from BT Broadband. Your email account wil be "downgraded" to the BTMail Basic account which is free.

It can only be used with a web browser and not with an email app or email client.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response....

I've heard about the £7.50 Premium option. But was under the impression that would only last for 6 months whilst you do a 'clear-out/housekeeping clearance' process on the old BTInternet email address. Is this not the case?

I assume that the 'basic email' option is the 5gb storage, which if that's the case I'm running at 82% capacity.

Which brings me to the next issue, the backup of those emails (which I tend to do manually as a CSV file), but it's nice to know I can log into BT and retrieve a saved email at anytime if I have mislaid a communication. Can I assume that I can log into the BT page, bring up email and review emails in that format?

I was thinking as alternative if I don't stay with BT of going with Microsoft Outlook as I have Office 2019 installed and I assume the migration of folders would be simple... or is this not required if I stick with the  BT Premium option?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

The BT Premium email account will run for as long as you are paying for it. There is NO storage limit for any of the email types. 

Any emails and folders that are presently still on the BT servers will still be there if you downgrade to BTMail basic.

You can not migrate any folder from the BTMail webmail folders. You would only be able to do that through using your email client if you have the emails saved on that because obviously if you "downgrade" to BTMail Basic you can not use an email client to access the account.

0 Ratings