cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

E-mail IP blacklisted

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

For the past two or three days I have been unable to send emails from either of the client apps (Thunderbird and Outlook) installed on any of the 4 PCs and laptops in my house.  I am able to send emails using BT Webmail.  After a long call with BT I have learned that my IP address has been blacklisted by something called Spamhouse Zen.  When I googled how to get this blacklisting lifted, I found a site called folderly which says:

"As an end-user, you can’t request delisting. If the request does not come from an authoritative source (Internet Service Provider) Spamhaus will decline it and will want to hear from the top-level network.

What you can do is to contact your system administrator, ISP, or ESP, and ask them to address the issue as soon as possible. Also, you can make sure that you don’t violate the listing criteria described above in the future. 

And just wait for the issue to be solved. "

Does anyone know who in BT I should contact about this - and how I might find out why my IP Address was blacklisted in the first place?

Grateful for any advice and information you can provide.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: E-mail IP blacklisted

Go to solution

All ISP dynamic IP addresses are blacklisted.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Mark_S_G 

Having had a career in fraud investigations I would suggest that a bigger concern needs to be who's, potentially, been using your email address, unless it is as @licquorice says.

Dynamic IP addresses are hard to identify an individual so IP blacklisters just block a whole swathe of IP addresses.

I assume you used this site or one similar.

https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-address-blacklist-check/

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

If you are a BT Broadband customer your IP address is issued by BT and as such if you turn off your BT hub for 30 minutes you will most likely be issued with a new IP address and will probably be connected to a different email server when you turn the hub back on.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@caravanjwrote:

@Mark_S_G 

Having had a career in fraud investigations I would suggest that a bigger concern needs to be who's, potentially, been using your email address, unless it is as @licquorice says.

Dynamic IP addresses are hard to identify an individual so IP blacklisters just block a whole swathe of IP addresses.

I assume you used this site or one similar.

https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-address-blacklist-check/

Why suggest someone's using their email address? That clearly isn't the case otherwise use of webmail would also be blocked if BT had this in place.

Blacklists do not stop emails being sent, they protect end users who use those blacklists to prevent emails reaching them. BT can put a block on an IP address using smtp.

The ISP knows who has an IP address at any given time.

Chances are it's a stale IP address and what gg30340 says would more than likely clear the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Andy_N 

Totally my mistake as I didn't read the original post correctly & thought he meant his emails weren't being received.

I've had emails from contacts who had their email addresses hacked or spoofed which is why I just chucked it in as a possibility.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@gg30340 

Many thanks for this - and to everyone else who took the time to contribute.

Switching the hub off for 30 minutes and then back on again fixed the issue.

0 Ratings