cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Email Account "Rules" - how do I know what the rules are ?

Hi,  checked my account settings and  thought I'd have a look in "Rules". I can't ever remember setting anything yet I have say a dozen email addresses / titles/descriptions in there I don't recognise.  On teh afe of it they look/sound like the type of stuff you'd find in Spam. 

No details on what these rules are just the name, nothing happens if I click on them.  No detail no ability to edit etc. 

How do I establish what (if anything) the rules are ?  does this point to a compromised account ? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email Account "Rules" - how do I know what the rules are ?

If you did not set up the rules it would appear that your account has been hacked.

You need to delete all the rules and then change your password. Do not change your password first as one of the rules may alert the hacker to the change.

If are given a PIN number by text or email then contacted by BT asking for the PIN do not give it out.

BT will not cold call you asking for the PIN. You must have called them first and then they will send a PIN. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks @gg30340 . 

Nothing happens if I click on the rules - no detail etc, does this mean they are "active" so to speak? 

Is it possible that BT would have set these at all?, should I speak with BT? if so who would be best? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You should be able to delete any rules that are there.

BT have been tinkering with the email system so it may be related to that.

To check I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@gg30340  Really appreciate that. 

I've deleted and amended password in correct chronology. Weirdest thing happened..... just after deleting "Rules" and almost as I was changing password received a "No Caller ID" call .....answered quiet at teh other end, so just terminated.  Coincidence? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi @camper

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the confusion regarding the rules set up on you mailbox.  The advice @gg30340 has given you is spot on.  It's really important that you change your password immediately as you're unsure about how these were created.

It looks like you managed to get this sorted out but if you need our help post back and let me know please.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Thanks @RobbieMac 

Screenprint of some of the "rules" - interested in why I couldn't perform any action on them other than delete or suspend, the "Active" part from memory looked greyed out too.  No detail in the boxes as you can see.  Clicking on them gave nothing too. Is it possible that these could be email addresses that I have "blocked "etc from a different version of mail ?  - but have manifested as "Rules" .  I've been with BT with my mail address for 20+ years.  Checked forwarding settings prior to deleting - nothing there.   Is there a defintive way of establishing that account is secure ?  or any tests /dialogue with BT that could  help? Who would I potentially call ?  Many thanks  

camper_0-1696515663389.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi. Could anyone help with contact number at BT to assist with discussing account security etc ? Many thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @camper,

Thank you for posting. If you send me in your details, one of the team will be give you a call to discuss your email account security.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings