cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Email Log Recurring Problems

I'm currently using an older PC with Windows 7 and a version of Chrome that will no longer update.  The system is working well on all websites and MyBT.  Today having had a return of the log in problem I requested assistance with a few weeks ago I have noted that the updated message on the email log in informs me that their email software is changing and unless I have the correct system and browser I will not be able to access email.  It appears that Windows 10 is the oldest system acceptable.  Could this be the cause of the recurring log in problems of the past months and am I going to be forced to replace my PC and everything else and all of the hassle that will entail just to be able to access my email, I prefer to keep BT Mail as that's the one I use most.

The problem logging in to the email has been that some days the email link logs in as it should, some days it logs in to MyBT. I was advised to clear browsing history which I did but it still didn't resolve the problem.  I contacted Tech support and they again advised me to clear all the browsing history, cookies, history and cache and I was able to log in.  Since then the problem still occurs from time to time, sometimes for days at a time.  I cleared the history on Wednesday of last week and I've been logging in most weekdays since then.  Today I've attempted to log in again on the email link and it's loaded MyBT, I've cleared all history, tried to log in again, it loaded MyBT again, tried to log in again and it's reloaded the log in page.  I've logged in here, posted a reply to a message by a community member, still logged in here I've opened another web tab, cleared the browsing history again and tried the email log in again and it's logged me in.  What on earth is going on, is it my PC system, BT or something else very weird and unexplicable.  Is anyone else having similar problems.

I do have a downloaded Microsoft Edge browser that is most likely not the most up to date that my system will accept.  I've only used it twice, the first time it logged me in to email when I was having problems with Chrome but the next time I attempted to log in to email it also refused and I've not attempted to use it since then.

Any advice on what I should do will be most welcome.  Now I'm logged in to email, I'm off to deal with it for today.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email Log Recurring Problems

I am on Windows 7 too, refuse to spend money on something that works! Besides, my hardware won't cope with an upgrade and aren't we suppose to be saving the planet by not tossing stuff in the bin? Throwing out something that works is ridiculous.

Anyway, in answer to you post, have a look at this. (I now have not been kicked off for 5 x days, so all good for me)

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Email-disconnections-have-returned/m-p/2327758#M107830

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply. I fully understand you and I agree. We are supposed to be saving the planet, those in power complain at the size of the 'discarded tech mountain' but the tech businesses keep designing and selling new tech with upgrades as the only way they can keep business going, the 'fruity' one espcially bad for that. I thought that Miscrosoft said that W10 would be the last, anything after that would be done by a simple download of an upgrade, then hey what a surprise not, they issue W11 for new devices. I've read posts from some members that they keep getting logged out despite ticking the stay logged in box. I always log out, never stay logged in on any site. Thank you for the disconnections link, I'll keep a copy of that. Not sure if this is what happens to me as I don't get 'disconnected' just that the dratted thing won't always log in. Good luck with future log ins.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Unless you have a pressing need to use webmail (accessing your email via a web browser) you could use an email client such as Thunderbird which is still compatible with Windows 7. 

Thunderbird — 115.5.1 System Requirements — Thunderbird

If you set it up as an IMAP account it will replicate your folders etc that you have on webmail and if you use an email app on any mobile devices it will synchronise with them if they are also set up as IMAP accounts.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@gg30340wrote:

Unless you have a pressing need to use webmail (accessing your email via a web browser) you could use an email client such as Thunderbird which is still compatible with Windows 7. 

Thunderbird — 115.5.1 System Requirements — Thunderbird

If you set it up as an IMAP account it will replicate your folders etc that you have on webmail and if you use an email app on any mobile devices it will synchronise with them if they are also set up as IMAP accounts.

I set up a Thunderbird account many years ago as a POP mail server. Is there a way to transfer it to IMAP or am I stuck with it?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

You can't move from POP3 to IMAP on the fly, you need to delete the account and set it up again.

Message 7 of 9

Before setting the account up again as an IMAP account, make a back up of your Thunderbird account in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong.

If you do an Internet search you will find a guide how to do that.

You should also be aware that any emails that you have stored on the POP3 set up but you have removed them from the BT servers they will obviously not be there when you set up the IMAP account so if there are any such emails that you want that are in the POP3 set up you might want to send a copy of them to your self so that you have a copy in the IMAP set up.

Message 8 of 9

I don't use Thunderbird (I use MS Outlook) but any mails you wish to keep are presumably already in offline folders within Thunderbird if you are using POP3, so should remain there.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Redlollipop

Thanks for your posts!

I'm really sorry for all the problems you're having. You can get in touch with us and we'll look into this for you.  Check for a message from me privately and respond to the questions asked and we'll take it from there. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings