cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Email address problem

Go to solution

I have a weird e-mail problem which I can't get my head around.  My wife is able to use an email address which we don't appear to 'own'.  The address doesn't show on my list of addresses, but if I try to create it as a new address it fails, saying the address is in use.  Call the address missus@btinternet.com.  She can send e-mail using that address but very few replies don't get to her.

She has been complaining for a while that replies aren't being received but it was only yesterday when she forwarded something to me that I spotted this address.  Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Email address problem

Go to solution

Ignoring the first part as you obviously do 'own' the address as she knows its password.

Make sure she hasn't inadvertently blocked senders and/or domains in the blocked senders list in settings.

Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

I have actually been in communication with the lady who uses the email address on a daily basis.  It's been her default email for over 25 years.  It makes absolutely no sense at all as to how what is happening, is happening.  To add to the confusion, my wife has a second e-mail address (also btinternet) and messages to that second e-mail are delivered successfully to her but on this address.  The lady who 'owns' the address confirmed that she occasionally receives e-mail which mean nothing to her but she deletes them immediately.

I'll remove the address from my wife's email client and reinstall.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

If the email "belongs" to somebody else how did your wife get the email password in order to access the account.

It is more likely that the two email addresses are similar, perhaps with one digit being different. 

When people are sending to the other lady's email address or to your wife the email address it is being incorrectly entered by the sender and as such is ending up at the "wrong" email address.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I agree it makes no sense, but I checked the e-mail address and it is definitely identical to the one my wife has been using.  I actually sent a message to the e-mail address and it went to this other person, and they replied using that e-mail address.  Simplest 'solution' is going to be to stop using it and just use the other address my wife has.

Thanks for the input.  Glad I'm not the only person who can't work out how it can happen.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @keitht8351 thanks for the posts, I really can't see how this can happen! I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll figure out what's going on. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Keith,

Is it possible that the email address has been set up correctly so that you can send emails, but the "reply to" entry in your email client has just one character wrong?

Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks NeilO, that would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I will check again, but the address used to send from is owned by somebody else.  As has been said, the whole situation makes absolutely no sense.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@keitht8351wrote:

I have a weird e-mail problem which I can't get my head around.  My wife is able to use an email address which we don't appear to 'own'.  The address doesn't show on my list of addresses, but if I try to create it as a new address it fails, saying the address is in use.  Call the address missus@btinternet.com.  She can send e-mail using that address but very few replies don't get to her.

She has been complaining for a while that replies aren't being received but it was only yesterday when she forwarded something to me that I spotted this address.  Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.

I've read through this topic thread, and your bit above " She can send e-mail using that address but very few replies don't get to her" doesn't make sense. I assume you mean that you don't get any replies to that address at all.

In your email client, which you said you used (what is that client?), it's possible that she has set the from address as this odd address by a simple mouse press/key press in the email address field of the client? This may not affect the actual email address in the server setting - which could be your actual address.

OR visa versa.

It's hard to explain, but easier to see. However the email address, if set this way, may fail to send.

Does your wife actually see the emails your contact gets? If not, then this implies that you do in fact have the wrong email address.

0 Ratings