cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 101 of 167

Re: Email system repeatedly shuts down

@Froggy_Lady wrote:

@gg30340 

I did!  Like another user on here, it will cause a lot of hassle and I'll lose many items I want and have to input again.  As you rather brusquely it - "Your choice!"

Just so that you are aware of what cookies are and what they do and the relevance to this problem , have a read through this link.

Cookies | ICO

The reason it has been suggested that you clear the cookies and history etc is because it is a cookie that remembers your preferences on the BT website, preferences such as "keep me logged in".  

The cookie that you have stored and are reluctant to clear out may be the one that is relevant to and causing the problem and by clearing it out you will be given the opportunity to accept any new cookies for the BT website.

I can not guarantee that it will solve the problem but as I "brusquely" said, Your Choice. 

0 Ratings
Message 102 of 167

@gg30340 

Well, I followed the online instructions for Firefox.  As you said, there's no guarantee it will work so I'll have to wait and see.   Constantly having to log in, sometimes after only a few minutes, was getting unbearable.  And boring.  And frustrating.  I just hope I haven't cleared my cache and cookies for nothing.

Message 103 of 167

Following your link to  ico.  I found another site  aboutcookies.org   which gives more specific cookie information for the most commonly used browsers. 

For Chrome, my main browser, it shows how to manage cookies from individual sites &/or time periods - a much more targeted approach than just "deleting all cookies". I'm going to see if just by removing the  BT.com related content it  helps at all.

For other Chrome users    Chrome cookie management   

I was surprised just how much space all of the cookies on my PC used. (I hope this is useful to other users)

BT.com cookies on ChromeBT.com cookies on Chrome

Message 104 of 167

Firefox:

Cache cleared, cookies cleared, router re-booted. Still chucked me off at 8.01pm... Beyond annoyed.

0 Ratings
Message 105 of 167

Just tried to label an inbox email as 'spam', on hitting confirm, got pop up 'the operation you tried has been aborted'... then it kicked me out, back to log in screen ggrrr....

0 Ratings
Message 106 of 167

My system seems to have settled down. I haven't had to log in since yesterday, and I've been in and out all day, with the PC going to sleep frequently. I haven't understood half (not even a quarter) of the messages posted above, so I haven't done anything to make this happen.

0 Ratings
Message 107 of 167

@Ultraviolet13 

I followed your instructions to the letter - except my browser is Firefox on W11.  Like you, I was surprised at the amount of space the superfluous cookies took up.  I must have deleted about three-quarters of them, including bt.com.

You didn't say if your endeavours were successful or not.  They appear to have worked for me.  I have logged on and off several times today and have not been subjected to the dreaded sign-in once.  I am amazed and keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.   Nothing else I tried had worked.  So a big thank you from me. 

However, I am now being asked to sign in to the Community before I can post, but as this is less frequent, I can bear it.

0 Ratings
Message 108 of 167

So far, so good for me too.
Not had to log back in to BT Email since removing all the BT.COM cookies from my browser.

When I deleted the cookies I also then shut down my PC & turned my BT Hub off for 30 minutes, as had been previously suggested.

Once everything was powered back up again, I logged back into BT Email and haven't been logged out since.

Wanted to give it at least 24 hours before saying it was working properly again. At over 36 hours now & still logged in currently.

I've had to log back in here & to my BT billing account too, which isn't surprising after deleting all the BT cookies, but at least I'm not being thrown out of email 10 times a day.

Very pleased to hear that it's helped sort the issue out for you too.
And yes, fingers crossed it stays fixed.

Message 109 of 167

I haven't intentionally deleted or altered anything, but my PC installed some updates, which seems to have deleted some cookies as I've had to sign back in to some sites and in some cases supply user names that are usually pre-filled. That didn't apply to any of my BT logins, but nonetheless 🤞and touching wood I haven't been chucked out of my BT mail recently. So, whatever has been changed seems to have worked for me?

0 Ratings
Message 110 of 167

Also, thanks to @Ultraviolet13 for the information about Chrome cookie settings, which I have bookmarked for future reference.