cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Emails disappearing

For the last few days, when I fire up Outlook on my Windows 10 desktop, I can see the headers downloading, but they disappear immediately from my inbox. Worse than that, the synchronisation deletes the emails from BTInternet as well.

If I keep Outlook closed, I can see and process my emails perfectly on Android mobile, Firefox/BT.com or MS Bing/BT.com.... so I suspect that the problems lies in the interface between BTInternet and MS.

Anyone got any ideas? How can I switch off synchronisation between Outlook/BT without opening it?

thanks, Jean

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Emails disappearing

I suspect you have Outlook configured as POP3 rather than IMAP

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Set Outlook up as a POP3 account instead of an IMAP account. POP 3 accounts do not synchronise. or try using a different email client/app such as the Bluemail app.

EDIT: Regarding the answer given by

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Re: Emails in inbox have disappeared

This started happening in one of my email accounts a few days ago.

But only when I download using MS Outlook in Windows 10. Unfortunately, this synchronises with BTInternet and deletes the emails there too.

I have no problems with Android mobile or with Firefox/BT.com or Bing/BT.com, so the problem appears to be with the Outlook/BT interface.

Is there any way to stop synchronisation without firing up Outlook?

Is there an update for Outlook that will solve this?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Re: Emails in inbox have disappeared

I have moved this post that you placed on another thread as posting the same problem across other threads only leads to duplication of replies and leads to confusion.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for this solution, but I want synchronisation!

What I don't understand is why Outlook has suddenly started destroying my emails.... do you think it's a Microsoft issue?

And how can I reconfigure the email account offline so that it doesn't download and delete all the emails?

How can I ever trust Outlook again?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I am confused! You stated in your fist post "How can I switch off synchronisation between Outlook/BT without opening it?" and now you say "I want synchronisation!".

First thing to do is decide what you want because you can't have both, then check your Outlook settings to see if the email account has been set up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account.

If you are worried about opening Outlook in case more emails are lost just disconnect your device from the Internet. If it's a mobile device put it into flight mode before checking.

Once you have done that post back with the results.

0 Ratings