cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Emails going to bin

Go to solution

All emails are going into the bin instead of the inbox. Can anyone help me fix this please?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Emails going to bin

Go to solution

How are you accessing your email account. Is it with a web browser (webmail) or are you using an email client/app?

What type of device and how many devices do you use to access your email account? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I am using a tablet. With both the Samsung email app and also when logging to my BT account all emails are in the bin.

My email account was recently hacked (I have now changed my password) and I wonder whether the hacker did something so I wouldn't see the scam emails he/she was sending to my contacts.

I searched online for an answer and thought it may be to do with filters, but can't find how to check this.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If your email account was hacked, the hacker will have stolen your contacts list. The hacker will not necessarily be sending emails from your email account to your contacts, he/she may "spoofing" your email address and then sending the emails from their own device to your contacts in an attempt to fool them into thinking it is you that is sending the email so therefore it must be a safe email.

Unfortunately even although you have changed your password, as the hacker will not be using your account to send the emails they will continue to be sent as the stolen contacts list can not be unstolen so will be still available to the hacker to use.

See link about "spoofing".

Email spoofing - Wikipedia

You should log onto your email account using a web browser, make sure you are using the desktop view and not the mobile view, and go to the settings that you will find by clicking on your user name at the top right hand side.

When in the settings go to "Mail" at the left hand column and then go to "Forwarding" and "Rules" and check if any forwarding or rules have been set up. If they have and if they were not set up by you you need to delete them

After doing that you will see a warning when ever you log on informing you that changes have been made. You can not turn that warning off but it will automatically stop flashing up in a few days.

You should also have a read through this link and carry out the advice it is giving.

How can I tell if my email account is no longer secure? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your help. I have disabled Auto-forward which was sending emails to the hacker (****@gmail.com)

Emails are still going to the bin instead of the inbox. Any idea how to fix this?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Please ignore the last sentence. Emails now in Inbox 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

You should remove the hackers email address from your post, it is against forum rules to post them.

I presume you also checked that there were no rules set up?

I would suggest that you change your email password again now that you have disabled forwarding.

It may be a pointless exercise but you could report the email address to the National Cyber Security Service. 

Report a scam email - NCSC.GOV.UK

0 Ratings