cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Hacked email and password change - Bypassed 2 factor authentication

My BT internet email has been hacked three times with the aim of taking AVIOS points from my BA Exec Account. The hackers seem to bypass the two-factor authentication, which would normally send a one-time code to my phone. Does anyone know how this is occurring? Does BT mail have weaker security than other mail providers?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Hacked email and password change - Bypassed 2 factor authentication

How do you know what the hackers aim is?

Have you checked that your 2FA is still turned on?

Have you checked that your method of notification is still correct and has not been changed after the first hack?

Have you checked  all the things that are mentioned in this link and sub links?

How can I tell if my email account is no longer secure? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

They succeeded in transferring Avios to Nectar points in their account the first time. I was contacted by BT fraud the second time that blocked it. I have now received messages that my password has been changed twice  but never sent a code to my phone when they did this. 

Message 4 of 7

If you have done all the things as suggested in the link I posted I would suggest that you contact BT 0330.1234.150 and ask to speak to BT Security regarding your email account being compromised.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for your help. I am struggling to find the department in the automated phone system and i have just received the 8th text saying my password has been changed. Can you be more specific as to which department and how to speak with someone? All very stressful. Terrible service from BT 😞
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @Ed2024, sorry your email account has been hacked. Please get in touch with us by using the 'Message now' option on this page https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt/technical-support/email and choose the answers: 
Existing Customer
Technical Support
Broadband 

One of our guides will be able to help make your account secure again.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings