cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

IMAP PUSH not working

Hi,

I'm trying to setup my BT email from my Android phone, the client (K-9 mail) works just fine with other IMAP email providers but with BT I can't get the PUSH setting (that provides immediate receive of arriving emails) to work. I've had to fall back to polling the server, which means I don't get the immediate receive of emails.

Some research on the K-9 mail forum suggests this problem is caused when an email server does not support PUSH (more specifically the IMAP IDLE extension). Can anyone confirm that, does BT email IMAP not support PUSH?

TIA.

Doug.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: IMAP PUSH not working

What emails are so desperate they can't wait for a 10 minute polling interval?

Message 3 of 8

Fair enough I guess, but then what is the point of IMAP Push at all in that case...

I just wanted to know if the BT email server supports it or not?

TIA.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I believe this problem still exists with the K-9 email app. It maybe due to a lack of support of  IMAP IDLE?

It's a pity as BT Mail don't seem to provide capability with these protocols even though it's now a paid for service.

K-9 is set to become the Thunderbird mobile email client very soon, possibly along with a jump in the number of users

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

None of these replies are helpful to the author of the original question.

I have the same issue, i.e. no push to notify of new emails. There are no phone settings that haven't been tweaked (Android) and the results are the same for three third party email clients, i.e Outlook, Edison and BlueMail. 

So, does anyone know if the BT Email servers support 'push' or not, and if not, is there a way round it? 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

You don't need push to receive notifications of new emails. Just decrease the polling time.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@licquorice:
Whether in your opinion we don't need 'push' does not answer the question! Regular polling would also likely use up more phone battery.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

2 things.

As far as I'm aware BT have never supported direct push.

Secondly, periodic fetch doesn't seem to be working either. I don't get that many emails on my btinternet account but have just set polling to 5 mins and sent a test message from Gmail. Nothing came through for over an hour until I opened Blue Mail.

0 Ratings