cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 47

Re: Keep me logged in

@TheRealArtfulDodger wrote:

"Shouldn't be too long! You can test it though."

My first and most important question is "will the Android version on first opening, attempt to delete the messages from BT" - I only do that in Windows because I want to have the capability to save the messages - If I can control the deletion of messages (i.e. if that's not part of the bugs), then I will use it. But, if I run the chance of losing messages, I'll have to wait until it's distributed!

Sparky

An email client set up as an IMAP account will replicate and synchronise what is on the BT servers.

All your folders and emails that are on webmail will show on an email client.

If you delete an email on webmail it will also be deleted on the email client and vice versa. It will go into your Trash folder on both devices until you empty Trash on either the email client or on webmail which will of course empty it on both.

If you have email in your Inbox it will show exactly the same on the email client and webmail

If you send an email on the email client it will show a sent on the BT servers and thus your webmail and vice a versa.

If you have spam in your webmail folder it will show on the email clients spam folder.

That is the whole idea of synchronisation. What you do on one is replicated on the other.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 47

You are absolutely correct about IMAP. I guess I forgot one critical thing: I don't want BT saving my emails! Just a personal decision I made probably 15 - 20 years  ago that I wanted to go POP and I have stayed with it. So, although IMAP is a choice, it's not for me! But, I only use Android to check my messages when I'm away from Windows, I guess I have to live with it.

But, and it's a big but, I am getting very tired of Big Brother constantly enforcing, not telling, enforcing what's best for me.

Sparky

Message 43 of 47

You can mix and match. Have IMAP on devices you don't wish to remove mail from the server and POP3 on the device you do.

Nobody is enforcing anything.

Message 44 of 47

You can backup and save your emails with IMAP or do as @licquorice has suggested or just stay as you are if it doesn't suite you.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything it is all your choice you could even set up a gmail account and forward yourBTMail to that.

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 47

OH - Learn something new everyday. I thought when you created an email account, it was IMAP or POP, one or the other. I didn't know you could pick and choose. So, as long as the Windows account is POP, the Android account can happily work as IMAP, leaving all the messages on the server?

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 47

Correct

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 47

@TheRealArtfulDodger wrote:

OH - Learn something new everyday. I thought when you created an email account, it was IMAP or POP, one or the other. 

Being pedantic, just so that you know, you are not creating an email account, you are setting up an email client to access your already created email account by either using the IMAP protocol or the POP3 protocol.

See link

What is the difference between POP and IMAP? - Microsoft Support

0 Ratings