cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Legitimate emails 'lost' by BT server

Go to solution

This thread has gone a bit 'off subject', but, for example, a BT Internet email address has an air of credibility: if the user is a BT Customer, then they must have a legitimate street address .  On the other hand, someone using, say, a Gmail address, could be anybody, anywhere.  I think it was on the Money Savings Expert website where I read that Financial Institutions tend to frown upon such email addresses, especially in the context of anti-money laundering regulations.  It makes perfect sense to me.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

It might make sense but there is no requirement.

You can have a BT email address and the leave BT retaining the email address as a free BTMail Basic email account. Then move house to a new address and not notify BT. 

There is no way to tie an email address to a fixed street address.

Do you think the millions of gmail email account holders don't have a bank account?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

OK - you win.  It's not the point of my thread.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

With respect, when I set up my gmail address I was not asked anything as to who I was, and, indeed, to offer any tangible evidence that I existed at all.

When a Bank / Financial Institution see that a potential new customer has a 'tied' email address - of which BT Internet is merely an example - they have confidence that the individual is someone who uses BT Communication services, which are always tied to a specific physical address.  Never mind which address, it is an address that is in receipt of BT Services.  I read that Credit Agencies use such thinking when calculating Credit Scores, for example.

Anyway, those points are entirely irrelevant.  What I wanted to know was, primarily, whether any other BT email users have experienced what I refer to as 'vaporised' emails, and secondly whether there is any way that the BT Technical people could for once listen to their customers and respond by stopping the practice of 'vaporising' messages.  The clear answer that I have from this Community to my first point is "Yes", and to my second point is "No".  In other words, I should vote with my feet.........

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

As you for what ever reason have again raised the point about "tied" email addresses after two months absence I note you never mentioned anything about my question

"Do you think the millions of gmail email account holders don't have a bank account?"

nor have you covered the part about people no longer being a BT customer yet still retaining a free BTMail Basic email account and possibly having moved home address numerous times applying for a bank account. 

In any event I agree it is off topic and I really do not need or want an answer to the above.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

I have similar issues with gMail - it all depends on where the origin of the email is from, the content and a number of other variables. 

I'd email the support team with some examples - I am sure they will look into it. 

BT are not providing a rubbish email service - and certainly not just making emails vanish - or their call centre would be swamped - not something they would want.

0 Ratings