cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Outlook Mail error message when trying to add BT account - Windows 10

Hi when I try to add my BT account to new MS Outlook I receive the following message:

{"SessionId":"7bce2aba-7c59-4b4e-9e47-13fd88edd96b","Timestamp":1710317510138,"Error":"INVALIDCREDENTIALS TEMPORARILYUNAVAILABLE"}

I've followed the instructions detailed here:

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

i.e. IMAP port 993 SMTP 465

I can successfully log on to BT mail using a browser and works fine on my Apple devices. My Apple mail was successfully added to Outlook but not BT!

It worked for years on old Outlook but not now! Is there anything else to try, thanks?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Outlook Mail error message when trying to add BT account - Windows 10

Why are you trying to add manually?

All Outlook needs is your email address and password, it will automatically discover the server settings from that

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I tried that 1st and it didn't work so I tried using advanced settings with no joy! Just tried again and get the same error message!! I'm logged onto bt mail using a browser (so I can reply to you), so I must be using the correct logon details? Anything else to try?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Outlook can be a bit moody sometimes, try using Thunderbird (by Mozilla) instead

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@OutlookMail wrote:

I'm logged onto bt mail using a browser (so I can reply to you), so I must be using the correct logon details? Anything else to try?

you don't need to be logged into email to post on the forum.

Are you either a BT broadband customer or paying for Premium mail? If neither, you will have been downgraded to Basic mail which is only available as webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

BT broadband customer, so it should work! I don’t know from the error message if it’s Outlook or BT that’s causing the issue?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@OutlookMailwrote:

BT broadband customer, so it should work! I don’t know from the error message if it’s Outlook or BT that’s causing the issue?

Give Thunderbird (or, as they say, other email clients are available) a try and if that works then the problem is with Outlook.

Presumably you have tried updating Outlook?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi, tried Thunderbird and that doesn't work either!! Must be a BT issue. We're looking to switch broadband provider when we're out as contract as BT is not competetive at the moment. So a good time to start switching things away from their email address!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Try turning your BT Hub off for about 30 minutes. When you turn it back on you will most likely have been issued a new IP address and connected to a different BT email server and it will hopefully let you set up your email client.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

How did you get on?

I', having the same issue with my email address and yet my wife's BT email which is a subset f mine ie it has a prefix of "fe_" before my email address xxxxx@tinternet.com. Her'#s

0 Ratings