cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Re: Unable to Add or Connect an Email Account

Go to solution

Have the same problem as previously reported way back:  There is a link "Go to Solution".  Tried it but nothing there.

Regards,

R Saxon

==================

Unable to Add or Connect an Email Account

So, I've been trying for 3-days to connect my Windows desktop version of MS Outlook to my BT email account, via IMAP.

In desperation, I've also also downloaded and installed MS Outlook Android and Bluemail Android on my phone, both of which also fail to connect.

Accessing my BT email via my browser works just fine.

Following advice on the forum, I have changed my email password, and also tried a myriad of IMAP and SMTP settings, including port numbers and server settings. None of which have worked.

As an example, when setting up my account on MS Outlook Android, I use the following settings:

IMAP Incoming Email Server: mail.btinternet.com

IMAP Port: 993

IMAP Security type: SSL/TLS

IMAP Username: my full email address

IMAP Password: as per the password I use to login to my BT email via my browser (which works fine)

SMTP Outgoing Email Server: mail.btinternet.com

SMTP Port: 465

SMTP Security type: SSL/TLS

SMTP Username: my full email address

SMTP Password: as per the password I use to login to my BT email via my browser (which works fine)

When doing the above, I get the following error message: btinternet unable to add account, server address is not valid

Can someone please assist?

Thanks in advance, Matthew

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry - slight correction- not trying to add an account.  Trying to connect a long-standing account.  Have seen the same information as Mathew as shown in the BT Help Guides. Checked and double-checked after a few days now - no luck. R Saxon.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I have moved you onto your own thread because the one you posted on was marked as solved and this will allow you to get answers to your problem.

I have also deleted the duplicate post you made on another thread as all that does is cause confusion and duplication of replies.

Are you presently a BT Broadband customer or are you paying for your BTMail through a BT Premium email account? 

If neither of the above your email account will have been "downgraded" to the BTMail Basic account which can only be accessed using a web browser and not by an email client/app.

See link.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

the message is from MS Outlook

"Something went wrong and Outlook could not save your Account Settings"

as noted have have tried over the past few days with my mobile/tablet app and MS Outlook today all work as expected with the correct password.
R S

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@pcSaxon you've already been told to stop posting on multiple threads but you are still doing it. Don't, it just causes total confusion.

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Don't understand "multiple threads" comment.  I am just trying to get some help with a problem still not working after 5 days.

pcSaxon

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Broadband Customer of many, many years.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

the message is from MS Desktop Outlook

"Something went wrong and Outlook could not save your Account Settings"

as noted have have tried over the past few days with my mobile/tablet app and MS Outlook today all work as expected with the correct password.
pcSaxon

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

POP3 settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 995, this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption

SSL Encryption: Enabled but not STARTTLS

Username: your email address including the @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

POP from folder: by default, POP will pull emails from your inbox

SMTP settings

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Authentication: PLAIN

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

====
My POP Outgoing Settings showing:
Encryption Method - SSL/TLS
Server timeouts: 1 minute 50 seconds
Require logon using SPA - not ticked
My Outgoing (SMTP) authentication - "use same settings as incoming mail server" ticked"

click Next - get error message

also Tried My Outgoing (SMTP)  - Log on using user name / password - still get same error message

The BT Help Guide says  Authentication: PLAIN this is not available on my Outgoing setting options!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

They are the settings for POP3 not IMAP.

IMAP should be port 993

0 Ratings