cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Re: why has the "keep me logged in to BT email disappeared

I've used BT for over 20 years but now I am looking at an alternative ISP. BT started to become chaotic around the time EE got involved and email in particular has been affected. My email address is exclusively for my use and the password is changed regularly yet I have been experiencing frequent problems with log-on. BT in its wisdom signs me off after a short time  most likely due to 'security' but somewhat misguided for private users liked me who are used to signing on just the once in the morning and finally signing off in the evening

Virgin have finished digging up my road for fibre and it could be time for a change

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

@didnotbat wrote:

BT in its wisdom signs me off after a short time  most likely due to 'security' but somewhat misguided for private users liked me who are used to signing on just the once in the morning and finally signing off in the evening

The fact you are signed out after a set time if your email account is inactive is because it is a security issue.

Just because you are  private user who signs on in the morning and off in the evening does not mean that you could never forget to sign off, which could leave your device open to being accessed by some other unauthorised person or if your property broken into and your device stolen the thief would have access to your email account and all that it contains. 

It is also because you are leaving your account open on the BT servers and this could be intercepted and your email account could be compromised. 

It is for the same reasons that if you use Internet Banking that your bank will sign you out after a set period. 

Message 3 of 24

OK - it looks like BT and I will depart company.

Message 4 of 24

This is a load of garbage - it is MY choice whether I remain signed in (and therefore take any chances with the so-called security issues raised).  I don't want to have to sign in each and every time I come back to my computer having put it to 'sleep' mode for a few minutes or an hour or whatever.

BT e-mail is NOT a banking app, it is for e-mails for goodness sake.

Well done BT, like didnotbat I will be leaving BT so you can say goodbye to my telephone, Broadband and e-mail account as your overkill and 'nanny-state' control of my account is NOT welcome. 

There are plenty more ISP's out there who are far more 'user-friendly' and they will be getting my business in future.

Message 5 of 24

@EmmBee304  @didnotbat 

Are you are aware that you do not need to use BTMail as your email service even although you are using BT Broadband. You can use any email service that you choose such as gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo Mail etc.

You can also use an email client or email app which will automatically log you on every time you want to check your email or send an email. It will also "fetch" your email and notify you when there is a new email. If you have a mobile device you are probably already using an email app on that.

I take it that you do not use your BT email account for communications or verifications with your bank or any other financial institution or online shopping so that it would be of no benefit to a hacker to get into your email account because it has been left signed on, which would allow the hacker to access your email account and any stored emails which could assist them to access your other online accounts, in which case you will be perfectly safe leaving your email account logged on.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

If this is a security issue then why does my Bt Email account remain open in OUTLOOK?? but shuts down in both Google and Microsoft Edge?? Frustrating is not the word that I would use, Not fit for purpose more like.

Message 7 of 24

It doesn't remain open in Outlook. Mail clients such as Outlook log in, fetch mail and then log out at periodic intervals set by the user, they don't remain permanently logged in.

Message 8 of 24

@WERZ wrote:

If this is a security issue then why does my Bt Email account remain open in OUTLOOK?? but shuts down in both Google and Microsoft Edge?? Frustrating is not the word that I would use, Not fit for purpose more like.

As I said in my message above "You can also use an email client or email app which will automatically log you on every time you want to check your email or send an email. It will also "fetch" your email and notify you when there is a new email. If you have a mobile device you are probably already using an email app on that".  

Perhaps I should have added after the above "then log you out" but I thought most people would have understood that is what would happen if it had to automatically log you on you every time you checked, which obviously it would not need to if it was already logged on.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

couldn't agree more EmmBee304 and as per usual you get the feeling changes that are made without your consultation or agreement are almost never for the benefit of the user.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Bang on Didnotbat I totally agree however I have less options where I live. The road was dug up but it was another company and according to my neighbour, is horrendously more money and extremely unreliable. A few years ago I was informed by BT that I had been upgraded to "full fibre" at no extra cost but according to the BT engineers who came to repair my line it isn't full fibre at all because my line comes to my house through the air on a cable which is probably why I noticed no difference whatsoever when it supposedly "switched over". To get full fibre would cost too much money when I have nearly a hundred feet from my house to the road that I would have to pay for extra. I also have a brain injury that really struggles with changes and even more so when there isn't an option to reverse back.

0 Ratings