cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Seeing where I am logged to an email server

Go to solution

Hi

I was wondering if there is a utility to show me where I am logged onto my email account. To clarify I am not looking for the use of my email address as a user name for a website, but where I am logged to a SMTP server like from an Outlook Session, the BT Mail (web site) or from a mobile device, so than I track my current sessions (or old ones)

Hope this makes sense

Tony

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Seeing where I am logged to an email server

Go to solution

You will only ever be logged in continuously on webmail.

You will never be logged in continuously to an SMTP server. Mail clients only login either periodically to check for mail or to send mail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
So this would imply that if someone had logged into a mail account say through outlook / or IPhones mail client it is not a persistent connection and would fail on the next fetch of mail if the password has been changed in the interim?
Does the webmail have an expiry time? will the session get closed when the browser is closed? does it use the browser session timeout feature?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@scyldshefing wrote:
So this would imply that if someone had logged into a mail account say through outlook / or IPhones mail client it is not a persistent connection and would fail on the next fetch of mail if the password has been changed in the interim?
Yes
Does the webmail have an expiry time? will the session get closed when the browser is closed? does it use the browser session timeout feature?

Who knows. There is a 14 page thread complaining about being logged out that is an extension to an earlier thread about the same thing https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Email-disconnections-have-returned/td-p/2326876

I never use webmail so can't say

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

There is no way that the user can access the information about where, when or what device your email account was accessed with. To get that information you would need to contact BT to see if they can give you that information.

Using Edge I find that the session does not get closed when the browser is closed. Using Firefox it does get logged out when the browser is closed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The default Time To Live (TTL) for SMTP mail servers is 3 minutes, while for webmail it's often an hour.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings