cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Standard email vs Premium email

Hi I've had my email address for a longtime, over  decade.  I've just moved away form BT, purely due to rural BB speed issues.  I've kept my email address and was advised to switch to premium at £7.5 per month.  I've just looked at standard and for me (lon time email user) standard seem free off charge and the same service.  I have 1 additional email address and would like to use devices to access vs web only.  

Would I be best served with standard email, do I need to pay for premium?  Is anyone in the same place, able to advise? 

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Standard email vs Premium email

There are 3 versions of BT Mail.

Standard Mail for BT broadband customers only.

£7.50/m Premium Mail, exactly the same as Standard Mail but for non BT broadband customers

Free Basic Mail for non BT broadband customers only accessible via webmail not via apps or mail clients.

Basic Mail would appear to be a suitable choice for you.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your response.  As far as I can see i can only access Basic via the Web?  And given the Standard is for BT customers only then Premium seem to be my only option if I want to access via a client. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I would think for most people the problem with basic email is that you can’t use an email client , so to check if you have a new email , read any email mail you have or send an email you need to log onto your email account with a browser 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for asking this - I have a similar question.

My wife and I have an email address each, but linked to our single BT broadband account. We each access our emails by a mobile app - Yahoo mail, I think - and via a webpage on the PC. I assume that (a) the two emails would mean a basic free account is no good (one of us would lose our email) and that the mobile app would no longer work?

Therefore when costing up alternatives to BT BB, one has to cost in £7.50 pm for premium email?

Is my logic correct?

Cheers

Derek

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi Derek

My understanding is that you will still be able to access via the web page you mention i'm assuming here that it's BT.com you access.  The access you have via your device won't work if this is via a client i.e not via a web address.

As for the additional email i think that will still work as the blurb says any existing addressed will work.

That's my take on it.

I agree the additional cost on the face of it seems like a barrier to exit

Message 7 of 7

Thanks Westy. 

Yes, I agree.

For the moment I will stick with the existing service. Maybe any change needs long term planning with the setting up of a alternative email and the gradual moving of contact info onto that email address. But after 20+ years, or whatever it is, that's a big task!

Cheers

Derek

0 Ratings