cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Wrong Password

I am trying to add my Email account to a new pc. I am using the thunderbird client. I have an email account due to my broadband. The account has been active with no issue on the old defunct pc for a number of years.

If I log in using the web client on the pc no issue. (at prod-btemailauth.bt.com) I can log in successfully. Similarly with mobile devices.

When I try to add the account to Thunderbird it reports that password/username is incorrect.

I am entering the same password for thunderbird as when I am logging in on the  web client

Is this possibly due to a password not being updated on all servers when it was last changed?

I could change my password BUT if something is not quite correct on BT side I do not want to lose access to my email account at this time, until I know that is the issue

thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wrong Password

Your username is your email address and the password the one that you use to log into your email account when using a web browser. If it is working on other devices it is unlikely to be a server problem.

The correct settings for Thunderbird are as per this link.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

Log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" then "Email Manage" and check at the top of the page to see what "Type" of email account you have. It should show as "Standard".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wrong Password

Thunderbird setting were correct and checked but still no joy.

interestingly via web mail  I attempted to change my password .

When I did so I got the report that the existing password was incorrect ! BUT I have just logged into webmail with that password. Confusing I repeated the "change password" and it gave the same message.

Only option is to do a forgotten password route?

thanks for your help

0 Ratings