cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

bt email account, can't log in

Go to solution

I was staying in a hotel out of  the country on sunday, while there i got a text to say that my email address had been compromised and had been suspended, the same thing happened the last time i stayed in a hotel out of the country a month before.

I reset my password and was prompted to set up 2fa, i did this and logged back into MYBt on the mobile app and enterered the 2fa  code that had been texted to me.

I then tried to log in to my BT Email using both the bt email app for android ,  the app  displayed an error which redirected me to a web page telling me i needed the bt email app and no other information. I already have the app.

I have since tried to log into my email using a browser on my phone and PC and  i am always prompted to log into MY BT first, i do this and i then just get a white pane with three moving dots (purple, red and blue) the dots never disappear it seems like the profile page is trying to load but never does. So i'm now over 3 days without email and over an hour of wasted time talking with an online BT chat rep and their manager with no progress.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: bt email account, can't log in

Go to solution

@jdee20212 welcome to the community, I'm really sorry to see you've had problems accessing your email. Do you still have a device in the UK that is accessing your email when you're away? If so this could be triggering the compromise as it would show on our servers that it's being accessed in two countries at the same time. 

I've sent you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team if you still need assistance getting access. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

That's a crazy bad restriction.

Most BT customer will have devices back in the UK which are 'on' and syncing email in the background.  You cannot have a fraud detection policy that says you can only access email from one location at a time.

Another example would be when connected via work VPNs... sometimes my location will show as the UK, sometimes Israel, sometimes somewhere else.

The bottom line is that tougher security is breeding bad customer experience.  I had the same with my Bank - they forced a new 2 factor auth process and it caused no end of hassle.  I had to get it removed and revert to the old one.

I actually this the OP issue is caused mainly by lack of capacity and performance with new BT email.  Its really noticeable at the moment.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @jdee20212,

Thank you for taking my call today. The email team has looked into this and it looks like the 2FA request was stuck pending. This has been updated.

I was happy to hear that this has fixed the issue.

Thanks,

Paddy