cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

email hacked - no account

Go to solution

I am posting this message on behalf of my mother in law.

The story goes like this: She has had a btinternet.com email account for many years.  Two years ago she moved house and ceased to have a BT land line, or any other BT services.  However, somehow she continued to use her btinternet.com email address.  No issues with sending or receiving messages for all that time.....  Until today!!

Looks like she has had her email hacked because we all family and friends received a begging email from her, one she clearly didn't send.  

I went round to see if I could sort it out.  Tried to log onto her account via browser - password no good.  Not too much shock, she is 86!!  So I tried "forgotten password", then discovered that the recovery channels have also been changed so no way through that way.  

Called BT help line, asked for security, they asked for account number / phone number etc....  she no longer has that detail.  The support guy was very patient and could clearly see the old account, but stated very clearly that the account was closed a long while ago and nothing could be done to re-access the account.  I asked for the security team because this shouldn't happen, i.e. email still working after BT account closed.  BT support tried to transfer the call, but the line was lost at that time.

Please can anyone help to REALLY CLOSE the account - it is not great that my mother in law is "in limbo".  I would like to see a clean break.  We can make other email arrangements as necessary.  Just don't want to leave that old address open to someone who seems to be nefarious.

Many thanks Henry 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: email hacked - no account

Go to solution

Hi @henry-smith-home-me and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about your mother-in-laws email. I'm sure can sort this out for you. I'll need a few details so I've dropped you a private message. Just reply to that and we'll pick up.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for sending over the details and for taking my call @henry-smith-home-me 

I'm really glad I was able to sort this out for you mum-in-law.

All the best

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help David.

All sorted now.

Cheers

Henry