cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

how do I avoid having to sign in when I am the only one who uses this computer

Can anyone help please? Since the changes to email, I have to constantly keep entering my user name and password and its annoying when before it allowed you to stay logged in. Nobody else has access to my computer as I live alone and I'm guessing you can't get better security than that? As my computer also goes into sleep mode when not used for fifteen minutes, I have to go through the whole process again and again. AAAAAGGGGGHHHH! I do use a password saver but it doesn't auto fill the user name for some reason.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: how do I avoid having to sign in when I am the only one who uses this computer

An open login to a server is a security risk.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: how do I avoid having to sign in when I am the only one who uses this computer

Surely this is up to me and is my risk is it not? I had NO issues with the old system so "don't fix what aint broken" is my view. So to be clear here whenever I am using my email and I am logged in, I am then at risk? So what's the answer? Don't use your email? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @grim1 👋
Are you using Windows 10 to view your emails? 
When you say 'I do use a password saver but it doesn't auto fill the user name for some reason' is this the Windows password saver?
If not, I found this......

Windows save passwords is on by default, and you can turn it off or back on.
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right on the header, click Profile ( the circle with a head and shoulders symbol) > Passwords
  3. Turn Offer to save passwords on or off (and you can also manually add a password).
If your username/password has already been saved it's probably down to your screen saver time out settings. If you increase the time period for this (say from 15mins to 60 mins) then this may help.

I am the same as you as I am the only person to use my laptop and here is how to change your 'sleep' settings...
To adjust power and sleep settings in Windows 10, go to Start , and select Settings > System > Power & sleep.

Hope this helps!!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you decembersangel. I am using Windows 11 and even though I am offered the password saver, I use a different app for this. All eggs in one basket could be a security issue ha ha. The sleep setting is supposedly a power saver in theory but how much it saves I have no clue to be honest. You have to believe what the experts claim I guess however if its like the tv "standby" which apparently doesn't save much less than the tv being actually played normally or is that no longer the case? Sometimes the email logs out even though I haven't gone into sleep mode so I am thinking it is a time related thing from BT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Just download an email client such as Thunderbird & you'll never have to log in again.