Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

"Your account is temporarily locked"

Go to solution

Anyone else getting this message ?

Your account is temporarily locked.
Please retry in 20 minutes.

I've been trying to log in to my Email for over an hour. 3 different browsers, so it must be a BT thing.

No explanation, no txt to say there's an issue or what it is. Not even an Email!

I, frankly, despair.  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: "Your account is temporarily locked"

Go to solution

Update:

After 45 minutes on tech support messenger I'm able to access my Webmail again 👍 🎉

I learned that:
It wasn't anything I'd done that got me locked out & that I wasn't being hacked 😰

I'd asked if there had been multiple failed login attempts, at what time and from where...

Agent:
"I am so sorry there was no other login attempts made I had a word with the team and they has confirmed that it has happened to millions of users due to some server issues and it has now been fixed by them, okay?"

Me:  OK, so I wasn't being hacked? It was just a BT problem?
Perhaps telling customers about a "known issue" would have helped stop me worrying"

Agent:
Due to this email server issue we have locked the account so that the hackers do not get access to your email account until the server is up and running. It's done for your account security.

So, nothing at all for me to worry about there then 😬

The agents I spoke to were helpful and professional, so I have no complaints at all on that score  

BT apparently locking millions of customers out of their Email without explanation or any sort of notification, wasting people's time and causing them stress trying to get an issue resolved that was purely on BT's servers and no fault of their customers - yeah, I have more than a couple of complaints about that

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Ultraviolet13  Not millions as I have had no problem. I wonder whether it is anything to do with my being permanently logged on?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

You must be one-in-a-million then 😉

Good to know the lockout didn't affect you too though.  👍

As is often the case, it can be a bit of a lottery with issues like this - not every Email server had this problem it would seem.

Yeah, millions did seem to likely be a bit of an exaggeration - but I can only report what I was told by the BT agent.

As to whether this was linked to being permanently logged in... all I can say is I shut down my laptop when I went to  bed & at that point everything seemed fine. When I booted up again today & tried to log in to my Email I got the lockout message.

There was no explanation whatsoever on that screen nor was there a link to get help with the issue.

I've posted exactly what I was told by the BT agent here, so, as far as I know, it was all "due to some server issues..." 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Having similar problems, my wife has been unable to access her e-mails for a few days whereas mine on the same account are fine. BB have been unable to resolve it other than admit there are a number of problems with the transfer to the EE platform. They are sending an "engineer" next Thursday 4 April. hope they can sort it.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

My wife is having exactly the same problem although my own e-mail, on the same account, is functioning fine. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Ultraviolet13wrote:

You must be one-in-a-million then 😉

@Ultraviolet13  Indeed! My good wife (SWWTT) confirmed that BUT only when she is in a good mood!

Seriously, we have 3 BT email accounts and all are logged in continuously. We use an email client, in our case the brilliant Mozilla Thunderbird, to download our emails, including those via gmail etc.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Carlusha 

A much better option to collect email.

However, being pedantic, you are not permanently logged in. Thunderbird stores your login details and periodically logs in, checks for new mail and logs out. Much more secure than being permanently logged in.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@Carlusha 

A much better option to collect email.

However, being pedantic, you are not permanently logged in. Thunderbird stores your login details and periodically logs in, checks for new mail and logs out. Much more secure than being permanently logged in.

Thanks. I simply assumed since it is more or less invisible! I must say the logging in and downloading emails is PDQ for our 3 BT email accounts and 4 non-BT. 

Thunderbirds are GO!

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

its now 22.26 01/04/24 and i am still locked out of my emails i have waited 20 mins several times i am partialy sighted 

with both heart and lung problems as well as mobility issues my email is my life line for contact to family and carrers comeing every day if there running late or other issues they text and email me i am supposed to be on BT priority customer for disability and to get quick help nothing no reasons why not happy after about 20 years layualty to bt 

0 Ratings