cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

unwanted 553 error

I keep getting the annoying 553 error ("your email cannot be sent due to content policy reasons").  I get it when I try to forward an incoming email from an extrernal supplier - the two most common are from Amazon (confirming an order that I want to forward to another member of my family) or British Gas (forwarding an energy bill for our charity to our site manager).  They are hardly likely to contain spam or phishing, but every email from those sources is unforward-able.

I'm sure that BT's "policy" isn;t meant to include innocuous emails, is there a way round this?  Can I specify specific websites which do not get trapped by this BT validation?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: unwanted 553 error

I have the same issue.

I use the BT App on my iphone; the offending emails get held in the Out Bob but when you tryu and open them the App crashes!  You can add Octopus Energy to the list.

The only way to address/resolve/delete is to log into the Web version.

Not sure how this got past user testing....?

Tin

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Tim.  There are ways round it of course - not forwarding the full message.  But agree with you, it doesn't look to have been thught through.  Gary  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi, @ernega01 emails from Amazon and energy suppliers are often used as cover by scammers so if they're being sent from an email address that doesn't belong to the company they're likely being categorised as phishing. Have you tried changing the subject to remove any mention of the company to see if that helps?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I get the reason why the filter is trying to trap potential phishing etc. mails, it just seems to be a bit random.

I've followed your suggestion.  Curiously, just changing the subject line on Amazon does the job - I can forward the message.  But that doesn't work for British Gas.  I can get the BG email to forward but only if I remove all the embeded links, so that is a way through.  The Amazon messages have all sorts if embedded links (to the order, my account etc.) but the fiter doesn't seem to mind those!  Both the 'sent' addresses are fairly sensible - service@britishgaslite.co.uk, shipment-tracking@amazon.co.uk - but the action of the filter is different.

Anyway, appreciate the suggestion, and I can live with that.

Thanks. 

Gary 

Message 6 of 6

Hi @ernega01 No problem, I'm sure you can appreciate I can't go into too much detail with how the filters work as it could potentially be used by the scammers to work around the measures in place to stop them, but I'm glad changing the subject has at least worked for the Amazon emails you forward.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings