cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: 3rd party router with Bt hub for digital voice

Many thanks, much appreciated. Have not gone round to trying yet, awaiting for DV to work first before altering anything.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

@TimCurtis

Under the circumstances, the subnet mask would technically be the tidy one to use for the minimum number of host addresses, but I was trying to keep things as simple as possible.

I’m not sure you require the port forwarding as well as the DMZ set.  Why do you see an advantage in that, if you don’t mind me asking?

Message 13 of 24

Thanks, for me at this stage simplicity is key. Once up and running with working system then the time to possibly fine tune.

All help and advice most appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

@Crimliar wrote:

The SH2 has a simple reliable guest network! 

No it doesn't.

Message 15 of 24

@Crimliar

As has been pointed out, the BT Smarthub2 does not have a guest network nor do any of the other BT hubs with the exception of the hubs that are on a business account.

If you are thinking of BTWifi as a guest network, the log on for that is the account holders BTID, which gives access to his/her MyBT which contains all the information regarding their BT account so it would not be a great idea to hand out those details.

If you have the BT Wholehome WiFi discs you can set up a guest network using them.

What is Guest Network and how do I set it up? | BT Help

Message 16 of 24

Thanks for confirming. As i thought and yes not good idea to use bt wifi etc. 

Many thanks for your help, thoughts advice.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Thanks, we do not have Discs.

regards

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

@TimCurtis

Actually, I got my earlier post wrong.

Just dawned on me, if you really mean 255.255.252.0 that is 1024 hosts.  255.255.255.252 would be 4.  No idea why you would want to use subnetting in class B for this?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

@WSH 

I'm no expert on networking but I followed advice I was given and similar setups I found by googling and what I've done based on all of that works perfectly.

I also run a VPN on my Synology Media Server that allocates IP Addresses on a different subnet and using 255.255.252.0 enables me to access all devices on my network when using the VPN.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Oh, I’ve no doubt it would work perfectly.  At one time I used to peripatetic techie primary schools for the council and one of the bigger ones used that subnet because of the number of clients they had.  I just don’t see the point here.

To put a bit of context on that for other readers.  Pre-internet days, IPv4 was originally envisaged for use by government, military and big corporates.  The addressing system was built around simple patterns to make it easy to work with.  Problem was this was very wasteful of addresses.  Internet comes along and suddenly there aren’t enough addresses to go round.  IPv6 would take years to bring in, as the existing equipment of the day couldn’t cope with it.  Two things were proposed to help.

One was “private” addresses.  Not private in the security sense but private more in so far as they were internal to your network and so you and your neighbours could all use the same addresses without conflict.  192.168.x.x for the home market.  (This is the reason for NAT – Network Address Translation, so your firewall can translate to the single, unique, public address issued to you by the ISP when you send traffic out into the wide world).

The second idea was subnetting – the technique you’ve used here.  It was intended for the public addresses and big corporates etc. to make better use of the original, very wasteful, classful addressing system.  It does not really serve any purpose using it on top of private addressing.  Particularly a class B subnet as you quoted.  That actually allows for 1024 host/client addresses.  How many domestic homes need that many?

Consequently, I was curious as to why you had picked that.  If you just picked it up from someone else, fair enough.  As I said, it will work.

0 Ratings