cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Alarm dialer and BT Digital Voice VOIP

Hi All

Im looking to upgrade to BT VOIP ...but at moment we have an alarm with an SD1+ dialer ...so if alarm goes off it will ring me .

Now with this dialer work if plug direct into back of the new bt smart hub 2 ...been told its a green phone socket .

The dialer can do pulse and tone dialing .

Dont really want to buy a new alarm at mo lol

Also BT do a voice adaptor ...would i need that ?

Any help most appreciated

Karl 🙂

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Alarm dialer and BT Digital Voice VOIP

It should work but the only way to find out for certain is to try it. Have a word with the manufacturer/installer as they may be able to confirm one way or the other. The adapter is an analogue to DECT adapter, so you wouldn't need that for the alarm.

Another option is the alarm may have a GSM module available as an upgrade, to dial over the mobile network instead. But when I looked into this for someone the installers insisted on a maintenance contract being in place as well as charging for the upgrade & monitoring fees. This made it uneconomical.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for getting back to me ....by what you say and what im thinking ...it should work as it can either be hardwired or fitted with a phone connector ..and has 2 wires ...guessing it works exactly like a phone ...using tone dialling.

Ive seen My Mate Vince on youtube connect different phones and a bell ( large one for a workshop ) to the bt hub ....and most work except the really old pulse ones lol

I know mine is hardwired in , but easy to change that to a plug and fit straight into BT Hub 2 .

We asked our alarm fitter yesterday and they said wont work and are trying to sell us a new system ...just want more money out of us im guessing lol

So will forget BT Voice Adaptor .

Dont really want to upgrade alarm ...so maybe worth trying it ..if we upgrade to VOIP ...and if doesnt work then look into a GSM option ...which just rings me ...dont want monitoring fees lol

Be nice if someone had already tried it out and let me know for definate lol

Karl

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

The one I was looking at seemed to dial some kind of modem that then needed to negotiate a connection to ID the alarm & then that system in turn dialled the alert number. So it's not quite just a simple case of dialling out.

As you say, the industry seems to just see this as a kerching opportunity rather than offering simple solutions. Try Googling "alarm installers forum" & then searching for your alarm make/model.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

this one is just a seperate auto dialler ...the alarm sends a trigger to the auto dialler , then auto dialler rings numbers i have programmed in ...so this prob different to what your on about.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

If it's just a dialler, in essence it is no different to a normal phone. You should be able to plug it in to the green socket at the rear of the hub or a DV adapter sited at a more convenient location if you would rather. The adapter effectively replicates the green socket, it's just an ATA.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

The dialler can do pulse and tone dialling .

@karlos103 

It would need to be set to tone dialling.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

yes thats what thinking ...in theory it should work 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

yes ...its already set as tone dialling ...as know pulse doesnt work 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Whats ATA ?