cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Digital Voice Landline Phone Adapters

Go to solution
Thank you once again. I already , of course, have the BT plug to RJ11 plug to carry the broadband from the filter "Modem" socket to the Hub, and this is already working fine.
So, I assume all I need is a cable with BT phone plugs at each end to connect the green hub socket back to the filter "Phone" socket plugged into my telephone extension socket?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

No, you need to physically separate the pairs, you can't just use the filter to do it. When the hub is connected to the master socket, it is a fairly straightforward operation, but by connecting the hub to an extension socket, it makes it more complicated. Does the extension socket you wish to use the phone at daisy chain from the extension socket you use for the hub or from the master socket? If the former, simply disconnect the wires going to the next extension socket and connect those to the hub green socket.

You will either need to fit a BT 431 plug to the cable or use another socket and double ended cord.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution
Apologies for keep asking what must be dumb questions!
My two extension sockets are wired from a cable connected to the master socket which then splits, going to an extension socket in my Study, and another one in the Kitchen. These cables run via the loft and are then buried in wall chases, so cannot easily be altered.
My BT SmartHub 2 ADSL input socket is connected to the extension socket in the Study and this is the only socket that I could use for the connection back from the Hub green socket to the house telephone wiring – the cable I would use to do this has a BT431 plug at each end
So, if I understand you correctly, this won’t work, because the ADSL input cable and green socket output cable must be physically separated where they connect to the house telephone wiring. If that is correct, I think I must conclude that I cannot feed my house wiring from the Hub green output socket. Is that correct?
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

if you are currently connected to an extension socket then you now cannot connect your hub to the socket for phone to work.  you must isolate the phone connection from the incoming openreach connection used for your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@chrisjp  Its a bit messy but it can be done.

At the study  you need to provide a second extension socket. Leave pair 1 connected to the original socket for your broadband and then wire pair 2 (which should be spare currently) to terminals 2&5 of the second socket. The second socket is then connected to the hub with the double ended BT431 cord.

At the master socket, disconnect the wires going to the kitchen and connect them to the second pair coming from the study. You can just crimp them together within the master socket.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

dvwiring.jpg

This should also improve your broadband speed as it will get rid of the star wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution
It does, and thank you. However, I think there may be a problem – there is only one cable going from my master socket to the two extensions. This is split in the loft with separate cables going to the Kitchen and Study sockets. And my broadband signal has to travel from the master socket to the Study via the Study cable.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

If you have access to the split in the loft, you can simply make the join of pair2 from the study to pair 1 to the kitchen there instead of at the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Just to clarify – here is the diagram of the telephone wiring

Telephone Wiring.png

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Yep, just do in the loft box what my picture shows in the master socket.

0 Ratings