cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

BT Digital Voice Landline Phone Adapters

Go to solution

I’ve just been migrated to the digital voice service by BT and have plugged my main “landline” phone successfully into the green socket on the back of my Smarthub 2, recently supplied by BT.

I also have a second phone that was connected to an extension socket, which of course no longer works. I’ve acquired a BT Digital Voice Adapter and understand that this can be paired with the Smarthub 2 by pressing the WPS buttons on both the Smarthub 2 and the DV Adapter. That’s fine, but unfortunately the WiFi signal from the Smarthub 2 doesn’t reach to where I want my second phone to be.

However, I’ve long used 4 BT WholeHome WiFi white discs to extend WiFi to all parts of my house, with one disc connected to my hub by Ethernet cable and the others connecting wirelessly. This disc network, of course, has a different WiFi SSID and password to that from the Smarthub 2.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there any way I can connect my DV Adapter to the WholeHome WiFi instead of the Smarthub WiFi? 
  2. Would pressing the WPS buttons on the master white disc and the DV adapter do it?
  3. Or do I need first to alter the White Disc SSID and password to match that of the Smarthub 2?
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Digital Voice Landline Phone Adapters

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Sigh, for the millionth time, the adapter does not use WiFi, it is DECT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

@chrisjp 

Try the FAQ as it will give lots more information DV and alternative methods to use existing soclets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
I don't know what DECT is - pardon my ignorance!. Does DECT have a greater reach through house walls than WiFi?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

@chrisjp 

DECT or it's full name Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications is a standard of communication for cordless handset phones.

Range in ideal indoor conditions is up to 50m

To note though the DECT base station is in the Smart Hub (router) and is not repeated with things like Wholehome WiFi or WiFi mesh systems. This means that you'll need to be in range of the Smart Hub for the BT Digital Voice adapters or BT Digital Voice handsets to work

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
Thank you for your reply.
The WiFi signal from my Hub is blocked by a masonary wall from where my extension phone is located. Is DECT likely to also be blocked?
If so, are there any DECT range extenders that I can get?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Unfortunately not. You can simply use your existing extension sockets by wiring them back to the hub rather than the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my DV migration retains the old copper cable connection from the cabinet to my house, so the Hub input has to be connected to the house telephone wiring (and I'm using an extension socket for this because the BT master socket is nowhere near a power outlet for the hub). So I therefore don't think I can connect the Hub's green output socket to this wiring (which was my original plan when I thought BT was going to set me up with fibre to my house).
Or can I do this? I'm unplugging the analogue telephone from the BT supplied filter with its phone and modem sockets. The modem socket is still connected to the Hub, could I then use a standard telephone cable to connect the green socket on the hub back to the phone socket on the filter unit?
This will clearly mix the ADSL signals with the analogue phone signal, but that is how it has always been before I was converted to DV.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

It can be done but will be a bit more complicated.

You effectively need 2 pairs of wires. One pair to carry the broadband signal to your hub DSL socket and the other pair to distribute DV from the green socket on the hub.

0 Ratings