cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT SMS

My BT Premium landline telephone is no longer able to send or receive text SMS.

Incoming texts are received as voice messages and 10 minutes after sending an outgoing message the phone will ring with an error message ("there is a technical problem. please try again")  with no details and a suggestion to visit to bt.com/text which doesn't exist.

It worked when my landline was with Vodafone. I switched to BT and it stopped. I've checked the service numbers. I've turned off call protect. Nothing works. 150 has sadly been useless... no one there seems to have heard of BT Text and none of their suggestions have worked.

I know Digital Voice for some reason doesn't support SMS... I do now have FTTP but my landline is still PSTN over copper so this shouldn't be the reason.

What do I do?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT SMS

Also I'm receiving robot calls at midnight with my test messages from hours ago despite having a 2300-0800 curfew in place. The whole system seems to be rather a mess but BT still advertise it so I rather expect it to work 😞

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi @ned77 and thanks for posting about your BT SMS service.

I'm sorry you're having problems with it. Take a look through Set up and use BT Text  and let us know if that helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

David, thank you very much for the reply. Unfortunately I have tried all of that to no avail. When I sent 'register' or 'reset' to 00000, as your link suggests, the phone will ring 10 minutes or so later and a robot will read out a useless error message which doesn't explain what the problem actually is.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi @ned77,

I'm sorry that hasn't worked.

If you haven't already tried, I would give the product helpdesk a call on 0800 145 6789. 

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Why is this marked as solved? It's not. The product helpline say it's a service problem not a product problem and have me ring 150. 150 don't know anything about BT Text. They did turn caller ID off and then on again to see if that would help. It didn't. The fault was first reported weeks ago and it's still with me. It has gone back to the engineers... I will report here if it does actually get fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi @ned77, I've unmarked the thread as solved as you're still having this issue. 

What did the product help desk for the Premium phone check to ensure the fault was not with the phone? Did they get you to test with another phone or try your Premium phone on another line to see if the text service worked ok?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

The product desk said it was definitely a service problem and I had to ring 150 to get it fixed. I tried a different text-compatible handset just to be sure. 150 keep submitting the fault to the engineers but because BT Text isn't one of the options on their system they put it down as caller display or some other feature. The engineers read the headline, test the line and mark it as closed without reading the notes or submitting any of their own (my theory at least, no one can tell me what they actually do). This has been ongoing since July. Countless faults and one complaint raised but the engineers never actually do anything except close the faults.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi @ned77, thanks for the update and sorry you are still having this problem with the texts.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us and we'll be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Sent. Thank you for your help 🙂

0 Ratings