cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT digital voice phones, listening in on second phone.

Hello,

If I use two advanced digital home phones, can I answer an incoming call on one phone and have someone listen in on the second phone, like in the good old days ? It appears this is not possible with a DECT phone plugged into smarthub 2. I am hoping for an answer before buying digital phones.

Thanks, pcr

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT digital voice phones, listening in on second phone.

If you have your own DECT phone system with its base unit plugged into the socket of the Smart Hub 2, then it will work just as it did before, so if it has the ability to join calls, then it will continue to do so.

There is no need to buy any extra phones, as they would not do what you want.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

you need to go into settings on the DV phone and calls and turn  multi to single and that should help.  DV is capable of making and call on 1 phone while receiving a different call on another phone.  this may be good for some but stops what you want to do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Thanks. At the moment I have a DECT phone plugged into Smarthub2, and an older phone plugged into a BT  digital adapter. Since changing to VOIP these two phones cannot share an incoming call. Yes the digital phones can be set to single call mode, but can you pick up both and hear an incoming call on both ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

changing to single instead of multi should put all phone on same call

have you tried making the change?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

From previous posts there appears to be no path between the ATA (socket on SH2) & the DECT in the SH2. I don't think this can be solved by switching off two-way calling.

I'd suggest plugging both phones into the SH2 with a two-way adapter. If that works & this ability is really important, you would have to look at a way to make that permanent. Possibly by patching your existing extension wiring into the SH2.

It's also worth checking the manual for your DECT phone to see if this can support the option. If it can then buying another handset would be a simpler option.

Message 7 of 16

Regardless of setting single or multi call, there appears to be 2 discrete channels with no communication between them.

Phones connected via the green socket either directly or via a DECT base station are on one channel and DV handsets or phones connected via a DV adapter are on another channel.

It is therefore possible to listen in on phones connected by the same method but not between phones connected by different method.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

It could be argued that with traditional wired extension phones , the ability to snoop on a call from an extension was a negative not a positive, so if it’s not possible to eavesdrop in this manner with DV , then arguably that’s a plus not a minus , if it’s required for more than one person to listen , most DECT handsets can be set to ‘speaker’ , and AFAIR , can transfer between handsets if a conference type function isn’t available 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Another change on DV which BT don't seem to be telling customers. I don't see why there cannot be a list of 30 or 40 differences so consumers can see what the changes are even if not many people have family members around the house listening on different corded phones which may stop after DV,

Thankfully whilst I was told DV was being forced on London by end of 2023 it has now moved to no such suggestion and even my bills have stopped mentioning DV - all a bit strange but not looking forward to DV anyway so will leave well alone...

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Wired phones that are rewired back to the SH2 phone port will have the same ability ( if that’s useful ) to listen in or speak on a call made by another wired  phone  in a different socket that is also wired to the SH2  , exactly as it is now .

If someone has wireless DECT phones that have a conference option , that will work as it does now , I have no idea if BT DV phones has this facility , but as no one is forced to use them , it’s irrelevant anyway.

0 Ratings