cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT rep says I can’t get Digital Voice on Gfast

I am currently on BT’s Fibre 250 plan which runs on Gfast. The openreach website states that Gfast supports digital phone lines.

However, when speaking to a BT sales rep to ask whether I was eligible for Digital Voice, they told me that if I wanted to switch, I would need to downgrade my broadband to one of the slower plans.

It’s not immediately clear to me why I would need to downgrade my broadband in order to switch to a digital phone line and nothing on the openreach website suggests there should be such a trade-off.

Is there something I’m missing or was the rep mistaken?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT sales rep say I can’t get Digital Voice on Gfast

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Digital Voice is simply voice over IP (VoIP). The IP layer is totally agnostic to the physical layer so it matters not how your broadband is delivered.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

That's what I had assumed and yet the rep told me that I could not switch to Digital Voice while remaining on Fibre 250. I can see that this issue was raised a few years ago in another thread but it resulted in the OP being contacted by mods and no public answer was ever given.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

There is no technical reason that DV can't be delivered by G.Fast but BT may have some odd reason why they don't wish to do so.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It would be great to get some clarity on this as it seems the reason couldn't be anything other than odd. DV is clearly available in my area and as you say there is no technical reason for the broadband speed to interfere with that.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

It is possible that since EE and BT apparently no longer actively offer Gfast as an upgrade or option for new customers then their computer systems may not recognise addons etc relating to Gfast.

It wouldn't surprise me that when you recontract Gfast may not be offered to you but if it was then that could trigger Digital Voice.

0 Ratings