cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Back Up (UPS) Unit (VOIP)

Afternoon folks,

I live in a village in Aberdeenshire and as we approach winter it's an absolute cert we will have power cuts in some form or other varying lengths of power outage(Storm Arwen ....3 days!). I have BT digital phones in the house and after that storm I promised myself I would purchase a back up power unit for FTTC,  BT do not have any units in stock and have not been available for some time.

My question is is there any other compatible units from other suppliers out in the market that would do the business

Thx in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Back Up (UPS) Unit (VOIP)

@Lenjam 

You can use something like this https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/sku/br700elcd-uk

It provides mains backup for phones and home hub.

A longer term solution would be a 12V-240V invertor running from a 12V leisure battery, which is kept fully charged from a charge controller. This would be a no-break "online" solution, although not as energy efficient.

Also bear in mind that there are batteries in the FTTC cabinet, and they will only last so long during a power cut. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Keep in mind a battery back up will only last a few hours not days. 

If power cuts are a big feature where you live, and I know it can be in parts of Scotland because of the snow etc, it might be worth considering getting a small generator such as a "suitcase generator". It will supply more electricity and can power more devices including domestic items, than any battery back up can.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

As you have FTTC the batteries in the fibre cabinet (DSLAM) will only last approximately 4 hours. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings