cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Call Protect vs Call Guardian (Blacklist vs Whitelist)

Blacklisting numbers, as has been observed  elsewhere in this Community, is essentially useless, as scammers spoof the number that they are calling from.  BT's Call Protect falls into this category.

Conversely, Whitelisting, while it takes a while to accumulate the dataset for smooth operation, is a near-100% block on scammers and cold-callers.  Call Guardian falls into this category.

However, while Call Protect is based at BT's end of the telephone line, Call Guardian is implemented only within certain handsets and these, moreover, can only operate on the analogue system. So far, there do not appear to be any Digital Voice Handsets with Call Guardian implemented.  (I am aware that analogue handsets can be plugged into the back of a suitable router, and thus Call Guardian could be implemented, but this is very much a Kludge and is certainly not future-proof.)

To my way of thinking there are 2 possible solutions to this issue:

• BT (or other developers) produce DV handsets with Call Guardian implemented (or offer a software update to present DV handsets that implements Call Guardian.
  • BT implements Call Guardian at their end, ideally replacing Call Protect.

As a service to the vulnerable and as a major contribution to defeating telephone fraud, BT (and all telecom providers) should adopt the latter option.  I would happily pay a small premium to have Call Guardian instead of Call Protect.

My question is this: how do we prevail upon BT to do the decent thing?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Call Protect vs Call Guardian (Blacklist vs Whitelist)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Why is a built in ATA in the router a 'kludge'.

It allows folks to continue using equipment they already have rather than having to purchase new handsets.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Thank you @licquorice for your comment - I agree wholeheartedly that existing kit should be useable for its' practical life. The port on the back of the router is invaluable for that - and I use it to connect an old handset.

What I thought I had said was that continuing to use analogue when digital was the future was a bit of a bodge and not future-proof.  The theme I was trying to develop was that one of the services provided by my telco could usefully be a Whitelist system and I was seeking support for this.

Whitelisting on phone systems would definitely make a major contribution to defeating telephone fraud.

0 Ratings