cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Can I change a landline number which is swamped by scam callers?

Go to solution

Exactly, blacklisting is a complete waste of time, the amount of numbers to block is infinite. The only sensible option is whitelisting.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks! He does have a mobile but he struggles to use it or to charge it. It may be an option for us to weigh up. Cheers
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks 🙏
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks very much Keith. Would this be configured via the security settings on his package when I access the MyBT, or on the settings on his actual phone/answerphone (or indeed both)

I’m comfortable that all of the wanted callers are in the phone contacts (and also set as VIP on the caller lists on MyBT online)

Thanks again Rich

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks 🙏
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Thank you and everyone else so far. I’m not sure if my thanks are appearing under the right message! Please forgive my newbie-ness on the forum! 😊

Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

The phone would also need to have the wanted numbers stored, otherwise those callers would need to announce themselves first.

Any number not stored in the phone, would either need to announce themselves first, or be directed to the inbuild answerphone (not the best option).

So on the phone, BT Call Guardian mode would have to be announce, although I think there is an answerphone option to answer, but not record.

You would effectively have a "whitelist" of wanted numbers stored in the phone, and all other numbers would be rejected. The phone also has the ability to prevent outgoing calls to certain numbers which can be useful if you have someone who keeps calling "123" for the time, which gets expensive.

Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

I would still consider the Truecall device for the remote access. It's around £100 to buy & the subscription is only £20 pa after the first year.

There is also a "Secure" version designed exactly for your scenario. With that the device can automatically block all unknown incoming calls, but with options. One allows anyone with a pre-shared code number to get through by entering the code. So someone trusted calling from an unusual number can still get through. An example could be someone with a new mobile number or a CLI fault preventing caller ID. If you wish, you can also add your number to this message so someone genuinely trying to make contact can do so via you. Although I guess it potentially opens that number up to abuse, so maybe a second mobile number on a PAYG SIM?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Unless the caller gives you their identity, the BT4600 does not force you to accept a call. Instead, you are given the choice of answering the call, blocking the call, or doing nothing. Computer-generated scam calls are only sent to the fraudster if the call recipient picks up.

Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

@RichieRichiewrote:

Thank you and everyone else so far. I’m not sure if my thanks are appearing under the right message! Please forgive my newbie-ness on the forum! 😊

Quote the message to which you are THANKING like yours above and then your message of thanks.. Also, there is a RATINGS button which you can click to show appreciation.