cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 62

Re: Can't Connect

Look up "Power Over Fibre" on Wikipedia and all the information is there.  I originally didn't think you could send power over fibre-optic cables, either. But Wikipedia proved me wrong.

https://tinyurl.com/y5mxrp3m
0 Ratings
Message 52 of 62

@alastaircparker 

Off Topic note.

Class 3 lasers and above, very hazardous, far too dangerous for consumer use. Blindness and possible skin burns. Typically 100mW and above, so quite capable of powering optical repeaters on long haul links.

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 62

Optical amplifiers aren't powered by the optical signal itself. They require a separate power source to operate the pump laser to amplify the signal.

Optical repeaters are entirely different, they first convert the optical signal to an electrical signal (as the ONT does) and then re- generate the optical signal.

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 62

"Quite why BT doesn't directly power the ONT directly from your telephone line without needing an extra mains supply is so stupid in my view. To use my cool acronym, you need YAMS (Yet Another Mains Socket) for the ONT device!"
If you have fibre to the premises then you are connected all the way with a fibre optic cable. This CANNOT (of course) be used to supply electrical power to anything. With FTTP "telephone lines" cease to exist.
0 Ratings
Message 55 of 62

Hi Customer66 (sorry I don't know your real name)

As soon as I saw that picture of your DECT handset in its cradle I recognised it straight away as a BT DECT telephone battery charging cradle -- not a full DECT Base Station (my term.) This explains why there is no BT modem-style RJ11 socket on the back -- only a socket for an AC adapter to charge the phone's battery or batteries. If you had a proper BT DECT Base Station, it would have an RJ11 socket to fit the tiny transparent plug you showed in your first post and the AC adapter socket. Then you would plug the other end either into your ordinary BT socket or (if you had Digital Voice) into the BT telephone socket on your Smart Hub 2. Then you would plug your BT DECT Base Station into the mains, via the AC adapter. By the way, I am with Sky for my telephone landline and Broadband service (but other UK telephone landline and Broadband providers are available -- sorry I couldn't resist that one!) I was with BT for my telephone landline and Broadband before I joined Sky, but that's a long story!

Also, if you had a full BT DECT Base Station, it may have additional controls for the built-in telephone answering machine, like my second-hand Panasonic KX-TGA856E DECT telephone Base Station has.

You *won't* be able to plug your home BT DECT telephone directly into the BT box on the wall, because that is your fibre optic cable entry box (my term) but the technical term is an Optical Network Terminal (ONT for short.) I am guessing one of your Ethernet cables plugs in between the ONT and your BT Smart Hub 2, but because I only have Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) with Sky Broadband and not full Fibre To The Home (FTTH) yet, I cannot confirm this. This is what the green plug that you couldn’t recognise is for – it is a green fibre-optic cable plug that plugs into your ONT. I am not trying to scare you, but if you have that green plug unplugged from the ONT, don’t look into it directly, because it is transmitting a visible or invisible laser beam! By the way, this is the same laser that makes fibre-optic communications possible and the technology just fascinates me!

If you haven’t been set up for BT Voice yet, if you had a BT DECT Base Station, you could plug that directly into your existing BT telephone socket, via the white BT telephone plug you showed in your previous post.

Sorry if all this is a bit complicated, but please let me know if you found it helpful.

You’ll probably be back? Hasta La Vista Baby! (Other Microsoft Windows versions are available!) Sorry I could not resist that PC joke (in the computer sense, of course!) And here’s another one: because I am with Sky for my Broadband, does that mean I am with Skynet? You can see I am a big fan of The Terminator films!

Alastair C Parker (a mega electronic music fan since the 1970s and PC and CBM Amiga user since 1988!)

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 62

Yes Chris, I *do* realise that. But you can now get Power Over Fibre (or whatever this new technology is called) in the 21st century. I just thought it would be a cool idea to have electrical power alongside a fibre-optic cable (as a separate electrical cable next to the actual fibre optic cable strands)  so your BT Optical Network Terminal (ONT) wouldn't need its own additional mains supply (hence my cool YAMS acronym), that's all.

Alastair C Parker (a mega electronic music fan since the 1970s and PC and CBM Amiga user since 1988!)

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 62

Please stop posting your incomprehensible total rubbish that is not in the slightest helpful. The OP has not been back to the forum since early June

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 62

Hi Chrisjp

OK, I half-agree with you here, but I *do* know that Power Over Fibre (not sure if this is the real term) *does* exist in the 21st century. Look it up on Wikipedia or other Web sites if you don't believe me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-over-fiber

Maybe this is *not* the same thing as what I was proposing -- namely having some low-voltage (12V DC or less)  electrical cables next to the fibre optic strands inside the fibre optic cable itself. I am just so fed up of having to find Yet Another Mains Socket (YAMS to use my cool acronym) for almost every electronic equipment we buy these days. If you could power an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) with power cables inside a fibre optic cable without requiring an external AC adapter that would be *so* cool in my view.

I don't have Fibre To The Home (FTTH) with Sky Broadband whom I am with at the moment. I am only on Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC.)  But as soon as FTTH is available in East Dulwich London where I live and Sky can provide it at a reasonable price, then I will consider upgrading.

(Other UK telephone and Broadband providers are available, of course!) Sorry, I could not resist that one!

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 62

Hi Licquorice (I don't know your real name!)

Are you asking *me* to stop posting "incomprehensible rubbish" in this forum or someone else? If you mean me, please STOP IT or I will terminate my BT Account for this forum! But I might be back. Hasta La Vista Baby! (Other Microsoft Windows versions are available, of course!)

I was only trying to help this poor 60+ year old woman with her BT Digital Voice problems and I know quite a bit about DECT telephones and Broadband (and fibre-optic Broadband, too), so please stop telling me (if it's me you are referring to) to stop posting this stuff!

Even the other members were not helping her at all, so that's why I thought I would post some advice of my own.

You never even mentioned your message was to me on your forum post, so how do I know if it's me you are referring to?

Anyway, my rant over!

Alastair C Parker

0 Ratings
Message 60 of 62

@Keith_Beddoe 

Hi Keith

Yes, I *know* how dangerous Class 3 lasers can be. Are these the same lasers that are used for cutting metal (for example?) Or are those lasers Class 4? I think these lasers *are* Class 4, according to what I have just read on Wikipedia today. And these Class 3 or Class 4 lasers can cause possible skin burns? Surely not also to CD or DVD? Sorry, that was a cool computer and electronics joke of mine!

Speaking of which, I have just found out that some Class 3 lasers (Class 3B) are found in CD and DVD writer drives for PCs and Apple Macintosh computers. However, just to confuse matters, these lasers are classed as Class 1 (no pun intended), because the laser beam cannot leave the CD or DVD writer drive enclosure. I never knew that Class 3 lasers were used inside CD or DVD writer drives, until finding out on Wikipedia today! I thought these lasers would be Class 1, like those used in CD players and PC and Apple Macintosh computer CD-ROM drives (for example.)

So that's very interesting about what you said about using Class 3 lasers to power optical repeaters on fibre-optic cable (FOC) links. But 100 mW (milliwatts) for a Class 3 laser doesn't sound very powerful to me. Now 100 *MW* (megawatts) really *would* be a powerful laser!

I only had the idea of having electrical power cables inside a fibre-optic cable (FOC) enclosure (but only 24V DC or lower) to power your optical network terminal (ONT) directly from the digital local exchange (DLE), *without* needing Yet Another Mains Socket (or YAMS, to use my cool acronym!) I know this is possible (but possibly in a different way to my concept) because Power Over Fibre has been mentioned on Wikipedia and other Web sites in the 21st century. Everyone on this BT Community thread was mocking me about sending low-voltage mains electricity over a fibre-optic cable and I don't like that (especially because it may be possible after I read that Power Over Fibre Wikipedia article this year), so I am closing my BT Community account very soon. I don't want anyone else mocking my later comments!

I only joined the BT Community to try and help that poor 60+ woman with her DECT telephone problems and to identity that plug she had never seen before (which I knew was a fibre-optic plug for her BT ONT.) However, I thought it a bit dangerous for her to show her unplugged fibre-optic cable (FOC) to everyone! Surely there would be invisible laser radiation coming from that FOC when it was unplugged? Sky UK Tech Support told me recently that there is *no* laser danger when a FOC is unplugged, but please correct me if I am wrong!

As I stated above, I am with Sky, *not* BT for my voice landline and Broadband services, but other cool UK landline and Broadband providers are available, of course! Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

Sorry for the long post, but please let me know what you and others think about all this, before I close my BT Community account!

Alastair C Parker (a mega PC and CBM Amiga user since 1988!)

0 Ratings