cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Cancel digital voice

Go to solution

No one has been ‘forced’ onto FTTP , anyone can continue on their copper pair service, even if FTTP becomes available, if that’s their choice , but it would have to be by remaining on their existing ‘deal’ , which eventually would result in them moving onto the  ‘out of contract’ tariff,  at an  increased cost , customers  pay less   if they are  inside a minimum term contract , so it’s a choice .

There  hasn’t been a single case of a consumer physically held down while FTTP was installed against their will , no Openreach tech or contract has ever broken into an address and fitted FTTP , however , if that customer changes provider starting a new contract with them , or renews their contract with their existing ISP , that comes with an obligation to move onto FTTP if FTTP is available , if a existing customer don’t want that obligation , it’s simple, don’t change ISP or renew with the existing ISP .

As FTTP is available and you are on it ,  you were not forced , in all likelihood you took the opportunity to take a cheaper deal , rather than allowing your contract to become unnecessarily expensive compared to the inside a minimum term price .

The migration to DV is not the same , but even that has exemptions for some 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't have continued to use your existing phone sockets. You simply needed to have connected the green socket at the rear of the hub to the master socket that previously supplied your service with a double ended phone cord. All your sockets would then work as before.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

I see that, sort of but having plugged it into the master socket how do you then get outlets to existing phones as presumably you've already plugged it into the only BT phone socket on the master socket.Do you use some sort of multi adapter I'm probably going round in circles here. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Yes, just use a doubler if you want a phone in the same socket that you connect the hub to.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

I am afraid that I have to disagree. It was only when I tried to continue  my EXISTING  contract with BT, which was for copper broadband plus 700 minutes  call allowance, that I hit a brickwall. I tried three times, speaking to a different handler each time, and same answer. I eventually called the "I want to leave BT"  number. I got exactly the same answer. Copper was being discontinued. No matter which company I chose to go to they would have no option other than to offer me fibre for my line. In the end, as a "goodwill gesture", they would upgrade me to FTTP, which would be faster, and "far better voice quality" at the price that I was paying, already. I would also have the choice of an advanced hands free phone, OR one mains powered adaptor. I initially refused because being a vulnerable customer, I wanted the reliability of copper for emergency services. Finally I got an assurance that my package would include a battery back up. So, I gave in, and stayed with BT. of course I didn't get the promised battery backup, and the OpenReach installer assured me that I couldn't use the phone socket on the hub to feed more than ONE existing 'phone. For the record, the OpenReach engineer made such an appalling job of the FTTP installation, that my complaint was investigated and upheld and a suitable reward was duly accepted.

To add insult to injury, neither of my neighbours had to lose their copper lines, although they BOTH CHOSE to leave BT a couple of years later when they realised how much they were being charged for simple local  alls.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

@PB45 

There was no need to have contacted BT at all, your existing contract would have simply continued on a rolling monthly basis. You may have lost any existing discount, but you would have kept what you already have, and would be out of contract, should you ever decide to leave without penalty in future.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Really? Can I still do that when my current contract ends in August? I have 150Mbs broadband and 700 minutes free phone, which I was trying to stay with, but waw told that I can't.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

@PB45 

Of course you can, you are under no obligation to enter into a new contract which would tie you into another 24 month agreement, which is going to put you at a disadvantage. 

BT will not disconnect you when your contract ends, all they will do is to try and persuade you to start a new contract by offering you a discount, but you would lose what you have already as the call package is no longer available to new and renewing customers.

The out of contract price is likely to be slightly more, as you would lose any initial discount which was offered when your contract started, but you will keep your call package.

Simply ignore any offers to renew, in fact there is no need to speak to them at all. You always have the option to change your mind, or even move provider if it suits you better.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

I have been out of contract for years now, and get free weekend calls, not that I actually make any these days. I am on a 9Mbs ADSL service which provides a stable connection over old 1980s buried cables which would be unstable at any higher frequencies. 

I have a Three 4G mobile PAYG BB connection which I can switch to if I need a faster connection, this also provides backup if needed.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you so much for all your help. I will of course let every one know what happens in August. 

0 Ratings