cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Continuous humming noise/sound on my landline. I have run through all the suggested tests.

Hello everyone.

im sure this might be a common problem. When the phone is connected directly to the wall socket, the sound is still there.

i am very grateful for any help.

kind regards.  John.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Continuous humming noise/sound on my landline. I have run through all the suggested tests.

If you are using a cordless phone it is quite common. If not a few more details might help, what sort of faceplate is in use (photo would help a lot), do you have broadband if so what type (ADSL, VDSL, full fibre...). 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Continuous humming noise/sound on my landline. I have run through all the suggested tests.

My BT Decor phone with its built in answering machine plugs directly into the wall socket (or DV socket on the hub) but also needs a power supply. When this started to fail it caused a bad hum on the line - this was fully resolved with a new power supply.
However, there are some poor quality power supplies available - the first one I tried still caused the hum and I ended up paying twice as much as the cheapest to get one that didn't cause a hum.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hello

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

I have Home Essential and Fibre Essential.  
Into the flat.Into the flat.

here is my plug by the window and also my home phone.

home phone cordless with call blocking.

im going to try just a normal phone and see if it helps.

Thanks a lot for your time.

kind regards John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you so much. I’m in the process of trying just a normal phone plugged in. I’m grateful.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The socket in the photograph is just a phone socket which suggests it is either a slave socket with the master socket elsewhere, or one into which you have a microfilter fitted to split phone from broadband. If the problem is not resolved with using a normal phone it might be worth try a different microfilter (assuming you are using one) or trying the phone in the master socket. If the master socket has a removable faceplate also try removing that and plugging the phone into the internal socket to see if that makes any difference.

0 Ratings