cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

DV. Not a BT router

Hello. I am not willing to update to the new BT hub just for the sake of migrating to  DV. Is there an option to remove the phone service from my current plan and return the HS2 that was sent to me a couple of days ago? Thank you. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: DV. Not a BT router

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

At the moment ceasing your phone service will also cease your broadband which you would then have to take out a new contract without telephony.

As the saving is only about £3/m its probably not worth it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

That is fair enough. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Just make sure your calling plan is PAYG so you are not paying for minutes you won't use. Calling plans can be changed in MyBT without invoking any contract changes.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Am I correct in thinking that you have your own, non BT, broadband modem/router and don't want to replace it with the BT SH2 which you suspect will be inferior?

I was in the same situation when I was changed to DV, but I went ahead and replaced my proprietary modem/router with the SH2 and, honestly, I haven't noticed any issues with it.

If you want to keep you own modem/router and forgo the DV phone service, then there's no need to return the SH2 - just keep it as a spare.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I have DV and use my Asus router but have set up the BT Voicemail service to answer calls immediately and periodically phone into my home number and using my pin code pick up any messages.

Works well enough for me that way as most have our mobile numbers.

BTW the only issue with using the SH2 is the inability to split the 2.4 & 5gHZ wifi bands which does sometimes cause a few issues otherwise it's as good as previous BT home hubs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

You could always turn off the 5GHz band and just use the 2.4GHz one if you find that acceptable?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

It is also possible to use both.  The SH2 plugs into the ONT or phone socket first then you plug your router into the SH2.  The SH2 supplies the Digital Voice service and passes all other traffic to your router, which then manages and controls access to your network.

There are plenty of posts on here as to how to do it.  As Chrisjp says, I've not seen any loss in performance as a result.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

You will need to return the BT SH2 at the end of your contract (if you don't remain with them) or you are likely to be charged for it. I have no idea if they can deal with it being returned earlier - but given the difficulty they seem to have with admin not sure I would trust them even if they said it is possible.