cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

DV via Smart Hub 2 at different location to the Optical Network Termination

I have struggled for years will an under performing 4Mb ASDL service.

Just today Openreach installed optical fibre cable over poles to my house with an 8 way terminal block.

My question is this. I live in an old stone built house and I would wish to avoid overhead cables attached to the outside walls.  I have CAT 6 cable laid between the dwelling, and annex and outbuildings. Is it possible or feasible to have the fibre installed to an outbuilding and then run the service to the dwelling over the CAT 6 cable and use my original Smart router as an access point?

If that's feasible I have a second question.  Could I use digital voice in the dwelling by placing the Smart Hub 2 in the dwelling as an access point and use another router at the ONT in the outbuilding thereby using the range of the Smart Hub 2 in the house for digital voice?

My preferred set up would be 2 separate Smart Hub 2s, one in the house and another in the annex, both providing range for digital voice, albeit, two separate areas, and route through CAT 6 to the incoming fibre terminated in an outbuilding 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: DV via Smart Hub 2 at different location to the Optical Network Termination

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

The ONT and SH2 can be up to 100 metres apart connected by Ethernet cable. You can only have one SH2 directly connected to the ONT and used for DV. You can connect a second hub as a WiFi access point but not for DV.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Licquorice

Many thanks for your reply.

if I understand you correctly a router does not need to be placed where fibre enters the property and terminates and that an Ethernet cable can run up to 100m before connected to a primary router. Thant being the case does the first router need to be to SH2? Could I set up a SH1 as the primary router running DHCP and the SH2 used as an access point with DHCP disabled via another Ethernet extension in another building to run the DECT DV handset?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Correct with your first part.

For DV the primary router has to be a SH2 and only that router has access to DV. There are no other combinations that allow DV to work.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Many thanks for your replies and understanding of my query

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If you sign up to another VOIP provider rather than DV you would be freed from these limitations. Although you may have issues retaining your phone number.