cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital Voice NO Ringer

Go to solution

Hello,

Having made the transition to FTTP and Digital Voice, both our corded (BT Converse 225) and DECT (BT650) handsets no longer ring!  In/outbound calls ok.  Whilst BT are processing my fault, I'm looking for a list of DV supported handsets.  Pointers would be appreciated.

BTW: I have power cycled my hub with a single phone attached to the DV Adapter; alas to no avail!

Thank you in anticipation.

Michael

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital Voice NO Ringer

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Michael_Taylor 

This is a known issue which is easily resolved.

The DV adapter only presents a two wire connection, and some phones need the additional "bell" wire to ring, i.e. three wires.

The missing third wire can be emulated by plugging a microfilter into the socket of the DV adapter, and then plugging the phone into the "phone" socket on the microfilter.

The microfilter has an internal capacitor which extends a third wire from the existing two wire connection.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe, you're a star.  That's my corded BT Converse ringing.  Thank you very much.

Just need to get my DEC BT6500 pair of phones ringing.  In/out calls whilst plugged directly into the SH2 are ok although there's no dial tone until you press the green handset button.  Just no ringer.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Michael_Taylor 

Its not the sort of thing BT support would have even suggested, as they have probably not ever heard of the "bell wire" as it a legacy method of wiring which goes back to the early days of GPO telephones and mechanical dials. I remember those times very well.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Steve@BT-Plymouth was very helpful and offered to replace my BT6500 DEC phones with a pair of Essential Digital Home Phones FOC having fully accepted the limitations of the DV adapter to support 3-wire connection.

Whilst Openreach tested DV service during FTTP installation, they did not make inbound calls to test the ringer.  This could have had dire consequences amongst older customers who will be migrating in their droves closer to Openreach's shutdown of the copper PSTN.  I made the point that Openreach should add an inbound call test into their installation procedure.

Thank you BT.